Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jafnva
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John

Replication to Offsite Failover

Post by jafnva »

We have been using Veeam 11 to backup our VMs (vCenter 7) for about 2 years now. We are getting ready to stand up an offsite where we plan on replicating our VMs to. After reading about Veeam replication, where it describes configuring various failover plans and replication options, we figured that would be our best option. In the documentation, Veeam recommends using the Veeam console to bring the VMs online, but after reading on how to set this up I found that having a second Veeam backup server is not an option.

From what I understand, if our production site were to go offline then we would have to build a new Veeam server and restore the configuration backup to this server. Then hopefully be able to bring our VMs online.
Am I missing something? One of the points of having an "offsite" and replicating to it, is in case the production site is inaccessible, but I cannot find any information on how to bring the VMs online when the production site is unavailable.
Is there anyone that uses Veeam replication for this scenario?

Thanks,
John
MarkBoothmaa
Veeam Legend
Liked: 49 times
Full Name: Mark Boothman

Re: Replication to Offsite Failover

Post by MarkBoothmaa »

Is there an issue with migrating your Veeam server to the offsite location?

That would probably be the simplest approach.
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Post by tyler.jurgens »

You can have a VBR server 'ready to go' and restore the configuration to it in the event of a disaster. That way you have access to your failover plans and all backup jobs, etc.

That said, you can *simply* power on your replicated VMs. Always better to do through a failover plan since you can fail back easier, but its still possible if you power them on manually.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social
jafnva
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John

Post by jafnva »

Thanks for the replies.
Mark - the reason we want to keep the Veeam server at our Prod site is for backing up to disk. We were considering moving the backup server to the offsite but are concerned about how much bandwidth would be required and how long the backup jobs would take.

tj - that may also be an option, we were just hoping for a solution that would allow us to quickly power on the replicated VMs.
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Post by tyler.jurgens »

What I would do then is have a secondary VBR ready to go. Have configuration backups taken regularly to a location that is always accessible by that secondary VBR.

Test an outage. Pretend the primary VBR is gone. Recovery your config file to your secondary VBR. Then test your failover plan. It really won't add much time to your DR plan.
If you want to avoid that, put your primary VBR in your secondary site and make sure you have the appropriate backup proxies setup to process your VMs from your primary site. I'd also have a secondary VBR in your primary site, just in case your secondary site goes down.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social
YouGotServered
Service Provider
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Cory Wallace

Post by YouGotServered »

Keep the your instance at prod site, but convert it to just a repository server, managed by your main Veeam server in your DR site. This way, you keep backups local and still have Veeam at the DR site. Just make sure you add a small repo in DR to store your replica metadata too, however.