Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bishoptf
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Bishop

Repliocation Issus - Testing

Post by bishoptf »

In the process of testing, I think I Know the answer but would like to get some more clarification, here is the setup, I have 2 esxi hosts, with one just being their for replication target and for redundancy if the main esxi host goes down. What I am wanting to do is to replicate from the main host to the backup host, I have added all of the vm's to the replication list that I want to replicate but some of them are not working:

Vcenter - vapp, suse linux
vma - suse linux
2008r2 - various programs including veeam

the others that I have are shut dowen at the moment and they all are working, I do have application aware processing and I think that might be the reason the linux ones are failing, although I thought they woulod fallback to network processing. The 2008r2 I think is failing since it is having issues backing up itself when it is in the middle of running the software. Here are the errors from the logs:

suse linux errors:

Code: Select all

4/14/2012 11:01:39 PM :: Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors:
'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host:  [192.168.1.8]. Account: [root].
Win32 error:The network path was not found.
 Code: 53
Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host:  [fe80::20c:29ff:fedc:d29c]. Account: [root].
Win32 error:The network path was not found.
 Code: 53
'
2008r2 errors

Code: Select all

4/14/2012 11:03:44 PM :: Error: VSSControl: Failed to freeze guest, wait timeout
What I think I need to do is break-up the jobs and separate them and not run with application aware processing, one more thing to note is that I do have win7 installed on the backup esxi host and made that the local proxy and assigned it in the jobs. Then I think I need to have the backup esxi backup/replicate the server 2008r2 host, which then should be possible, but then I am not sure if my licenses woulod allow me to install on another instance of the veeam software. Thanks in advance.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Repliocation Issus - Testing

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Tom,

Application aware image processing can be used for Windows machines only, that is why you have these errors for SUSE Linux VMs. To resolve that, you can either split you backup job into two jobs or configure your job in the following way.
bishoptf wrote:Error: VSSControl: Failed to freeze guest, wait timeout
Please search these forums for more details on this error, as there are plenty of info in the existing topics.
bishoptf wrote:...but then I am not sure if my licenses woulod allow me to install on another instance of the veeam software.
You can install as many backup servers/proxy servers as you want, just make sure that the license key covers all your source hosts and licensed sockets number is not exceeded.

Hope this helps!
bishoptf
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Bishop

Post by bishoptf »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello Tom,

Application aware image processing can be used for Windows machines only, that is why you have these errors for SUSE Linux VMs. To resolve that, you can either split you backup job into two jobs or configure your job in the following way.
Please search these forums for more details on this error, as there are plenty of info in the existing topics.
You can install as many backup servers/proxy servers as you want, just make sure that the license key covers all your source hosts and licensed sockets number is not exceeded.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Vitaliy for the information on the replication jobs I will read more..so on the licensing front I am still not sure what would be allowed, this is the license that I am looking at purchasing - VEEAM BACKUP & REPLICATION LICENSE - 1 SOCKET - PUBLIC SECTOR - TIER A (1-6 CORES) - with this licensing would Ibe able to install the backup/replication software on my backup esxi win7 vm ? then I could use each one of them to backup each one of the windows machines that are running the veeam software.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

License key is assigned to the host when you start backing up/replicating VMs from that host. Assuming that you've already used your 1 socket with the production host, then you will be able to install new instance of Veeaem B&R, however you won't be able to backup/replicate VMs from this host, since the number of total licensed sockets will be exceeded.

In other words, you can replicate to the DR host, however you will not be able to backup/replicate VMs from this host, to do that you need to purchase more sockets.