Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mporliod
Expert
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: massimiliano porliod

repository data domain

Post by mporliod »

Good morning, I need help with sizing because I'm not confident using a 32tb data domain.
I should do a daily copy with 180 day retention, it is better to do a full weekly or a synthetic full since I use a DD.
And if I also had to do the same type of backup on object storage, what would be the most correct method?

the source data is approximately 8 TB, they are VMs in a VMware environment, the daily incrementals are approximately 130 GB.

Thank you
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: repository data domain

Post by Mildur »

Hello Massimiliano

I assume, you plan to use the data domain with DDBoost.
Try our calculator with REFS/XFS enabled: https://calculator.veeam.com/vbr/
I should do a daily copy with 180 day retention, it is better to do a full weekly or a synthetic full since I use a DD.
Data Domain has a limit on how many restore points (120 restore points) can be in a single backup chain (full backup + incremental).
Enable weekly synthetic full backups with DDBoost.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

For Object Storage, there is no option to "enable synthetic full" in the job settings. Object storage is forever incremental. You can configure your backup job to keep 180 days.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mporliod
Expert

Post by mporliod »

good morning, I know the calculator you indicated to me, but I think it is not very reliable for spaces, because the DD is much more powerful from the point of view of deduplication and compression compared to a repository based on REFS/XFS , correct me if I'm wrong.

so if I do a 180 day retention the chain is longer than 120 restore point how do I resolve it? I don't understand, is it enough to introduce a full synthetic every week?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

but I think it is not very reliable for spaces, because the DD is much more powerful from the point of view of deduplication and compression compared to a repository based on REFS/XFS , correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct. Data Domain has global deduplication over all restore points. It will probably use a little bit less space than ReFS/XFS repositories. But we cannot do that calculation for you. It depends heavenly on your production environment.
so if I do a 180 day retention the chain is longer than 120 restore point how do I resolve it? I don't understand, is it enough to introduce a full synthetic every week?
Synthetic full backup will solve the 120 day limitation. Weekly synthetic full with daily backups will create backup chains with just 7 restore points.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mporliod
Expert

Post by mporliod »

so if I understand correctly the chain is counted from the last full house to zero at every full house
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Post by rennerstefan »

That is correct a chain is always a full and it’s depending incrementals. Essentially what the limitation means is that you could “only” do 120 restore points if you runs “incremental forever” chain. But in your case, as Mildur mentioned, the synthetic full will create a new chain.
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA