Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DenisF
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Restore low speed to VMware host and errors during the operation

Post by DenisF »

Good afternoon to all.

We have the following three components:

Veeam Backup & Replication Standard 9.5 U4 (clarification - there's no technical support, so we cannot update it)
Two VMware ESXi 7.01 hosts joined in vCenter
Two different storage systems:
HP MSA 2052
HP P2000 G3 FC

Both storage systems are connected to the hosts directly via FibreChannel. Veeam is installed on another PC connected via Ethernet.
1. There are no problems with the data backup. The backup speed is good and everything is fine
2. Until recently, Hyper-V was installed on both hosts, so there've been no problems whatsoever. And everything was fine. Then we installed VMware and now we can't restore data from a backup properly.

Here are the things we have tried to do:

[*] Change over from one storage system to another, i.e. we used one system and when we got an error then we switched to the other.
[*]Change the hosts where the data was restored to.
[*]Use different volumes / lun on these hosts. In particular, we tried to use the one that was completely empty, wasn't loaded with anything, wasn't busy with anything, and was even switched to the Maintenance mode.
[*]Create backup proxy (as a virtual machine on one of the hosts) with deafault operating mode.
[*]Restore a backup using hyper-v as a test (it was left on the old PC connected to that storage system in the same way. There are no problems, the speed is excellent. The data recovery process runs without errors.
[*]Change the Veeam version. As you've noticed, we have a rather old Veeam version, which doesn't officially support the mentioned VMware version. That's why it was decided to install the current Veeam Community Edition release onto a separate host and to try all these actions using this release - we got the same error, which means there can't be anything wrong with it.

All these actions had no effect. Another thing I want to point out is that the data recovery speed is extremely low. If you compare the backup speed and the recovery speed, the difference is about 10 times. Dear forum members, any advice, please?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Restore low speed to VMware host and errors during the operation

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Please don't post debug logs snippets and provide a support case ID for this issue instead, as requested when you click New Topic. As explained there, we cannot troubleshoot technical issues over the forum posts. As noted in the same post, you can open a support case for the Community Edition too (technical support will be provided on a best-effort basis depending on staff availability).

The only suggestion I could provide you with is to check the transport mode in which the target proxy performs data restore, for instance it would make sense to try HotAdd (Virtual Appliance) mode.

Thanks!
DenisF
Novice

Post by DenisF » 1 person likes this post

It's ok... I'm sorry

Support case #04561730. It was created 24.12.2020, but still did not receive any answer.

Thank you.
SkyDiver79
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Falk

Post by SkyDiver79 »

Hello Denis,

have you checked your Repository? I see slow restores on NAS or Dedup Appliance Repositories. You can check the Disk Queue and Latency on your Repo while restoring.

BR
Falk
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 180 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz »

BTW, your veeam-version doesn't support vsphere 7.x

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
DenisF
Novice

Post by DenisF »

mcz, thank you. I know it.
---my post---
That's why it was decided to install the current Veeam Community Edition
----------------
I have tried this one, but it's does not affect.