Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Restorepoint 2 days behind

Post by FrancWest »

Hi,

Case # 05793667.

Something strange is happening here. I have an immediate copy job running. For all but one VM this works fine. However, for one specific VM, the restorepoint being copied is always 2 days behind. Job log reports that it copies a restorepoint from 2 days earlier. Even when the source backup job has completed succesfully so there is a newer restorepoint available for this specific VM.

I can't fix this by manually starting a backup copy cycle and then choosing 'latest'. From that moment on the current restorepoint is being copied again on every run. I don't understand what's going on here. I have 3 copy jobs, all behave in exactly the same way. I still have 2 jobs which copy the older restorepoint, since for those jobs I haven't used the workaround yet so support can look into this.

However, since this is an immediate copy job, why doesn't it copy the most current restorepoint? Isn't that what an immediate copy job is all about? Also, I don't get any warning or error that it copied an older restorepoint, the job just completes with the status successful. Since this is happening for only 1 specific VM in this job, I have to check if this is not happening for more VMs in other jobs too.
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 79 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Re: Restorepoint 2 days behind

Post by karsten123 »

please try disable the job and enable it again. wait for the next scheduled run.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Unfortunately that didn’t work. It still only copies a 2 days old restore point.
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 79 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Post by karsten123 »

Ok. Thank you for your feedback. So you have to figure it out with Veeam support.
Do you have feedback from them?
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

They ate still going through the logs and transferred it to the cloud provider department since it’s happening with a copy job to a cloud provider. But that doesn’t have anything to do with it, since I have the exact same issue with a local backup copy job.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest » 1 person likes this post

Support confirmed this to be a bug in V11, it should be fixed in V12.

They are now working on a script to detect if more vm’s are affected other than the one we found so far. This script needs to be run on a regular basis in order to detect if the issue pops up again, since it’s unknown what causes the issue. We have 3 backup copy jobs that include the same vm. One is recent, one is 2 days behind and the other 3 days for this specific vm. Workaround is to manually start a sync and choose ‘latest’.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Update: support is very cooperative in creating a script to detect this type of issue, but we aren’t there yet.

In my opinion this is a pretty serious bug: you can’t rely on VBR anymore that it copies the latest available restore point in a backup copy immediate mode job. In our situation, the backup copy of 1 vm was 3 days behind. You don’t get a warning, you only notice it by going through the results of each vm inside a copy job. We have copy jobs than contain many vm’s, only one vm was behind, all other were up-to-date. I think users need to be informed about this possible issue, this is not specific to our setup.

This is how it looks like: