Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
aheusdens2
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Heusdens

Retention Policy for Disabled Job

Post by aheusdens2 »

It's my understanding that the retention policy defined within a VM backup job runs at the end of the job. With that understanding, if I disable a VM job, the retention policy defined in the job also gets disabled correct?

I'm transitioning from Veeam to Zerto for some of our servers and I would like for the retention processes to still delete the older VM backups per the retention policy within the Veeam jobs so I don't have to try and manually delete the older jobs but I can't leave them enabled so they keep creating new backups.

How can I have Veeam process the retention policy for a disabled Veeam job until all the backups for the VMs within the job have been deleted? Is this even possible?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Retention Policy for Disabled Job

Post by Gostev »

Retention for the latest (most recent) backups will stop. We don't delete them automatically as a precaution as disabling the job may not have been intentional, but as a result you may eventually loose all your existing backups while having no new backups created.

Retention for GFS (archived) backups will continue though, as these are the oldest restore points of little value (at least following their retention policy expiration).