I'm currently at the point where the world goes blurry and my eyes go crossed, so I'd appreciate a sanity-check on my understanding of Veeam's retention settings. My apologies if any of the below isn't clear - I'm attempting to brain-dump!
Some setup detail:
- Veeam B&R v7
- Backup Mode: Incremental with synthetic fulls (every Friday)
- Current Retention Policy: 7 restore points on disk
- One new VBK file will be created every Friday via synthetic full, and one new VIB file will be created every other day (i.e. Saturday to Thursday inclusive).
- After every backup, retention policy is parsed. This is where things start getting hazy.
- Because we have a 7-point retention policy and synthetic fulls are weekly, Veeam will wait until there's at least one full set of files (i.e. 1 x VBK + 6 x VIB) other than the last full before removing old files.
- Million-dollar question: How many full backups (i.e. VBK files) will be on-disk at any one time?
Any help appreciated!