Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
FECambot
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Florian Cambot

Saving VM using folders with an medium disk system

Post by FECambot »

Hi all,

i have a backup server which is performing in an "average" way, ie. it's not fast and is always the bottleneck.

I was wondering if saving several VMs in the same job (which is convenient, as i configure job to backup VM in a folder of vmware) would "cost" more time, because of my disk subsystem really average performnces, compared to saving them one by one.
Global size is 98Gb, vSphere 6.7, Veeam is current.

Unfortunately, i can't test, not enough space and out of production time.

If "one by one" VM processing is faster on slow system, i'm ready to go for it, i have only a dozen VM.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2276 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Saving VM using folders with an medium disk system

Post by Mildur »

Hi Florian

What does the bottleneck say in the job session logs?
Are you using Per-Machine Backup Files or Per-Job Backup Files?

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Origin 2000
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times

Post by Origin 2000 »

It doesnt matter how to select your workoad e.g folders, hosts, cluster, tags or single VMs because with the start of the Job a list is created. Running tasks in parallel is a default since years but how many task runs on which "site" are configurable. You can configure the number if parallel task on the proxy and on the backup repository.

When speaking of "folders" in terms of veeam most of the time the repository setting "Per-Machine Backup Files" comes into mind. We prefer this settings (requires Enterprise or up licensing) because when multiple streams can be used you will get a better performance. You may loose some space savings.

If you dont use Hot add right now than your Veeam server must handle all the cpu related tasks like compression, dedup, space savings and you should try to place one or more VMs as Veeam Proxy in your environment. I have setups where we have a single Veeam Proxy on every ESXi Hosts.

Regards,
Joerg
FECambot
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Florian Cambot

Post by FECambot »

Hi all,
we are running on an antiquated per-socket Essentials license, which means i can't chose per-VM or per-machine :(
We don't run jobs in parallel.
However i have my answer , thanks.
Origin 2000
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times

Post by Origin 2000 »

As long as you have Essentials Enterprise or up you can use the "per-VM" option. You cant use is with VBR Standard/Essentials Standard.

Iam not speaking about running Jobs in parallel... i wrote about "tasks" and per Veeam definition a task = single vDisk. So iam pretty sure that you run things parallel and you can control it on proxy and repository.

Regards,
Joerg