Seeding a Repl job with an excluded disk

VMware specific discussions

Seeding a Repl job with an excluded disk

Veeam Logoby nixon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:48 am

Hi all,

We have a server that has several (separate) vDisks. One of the disks is used for a nightly file dump from SQL. We want to exclude that disk (SCSI 0:5) from the replication. I can see pretty clearly where this needs to be selected in the the job properties, and am aware of the issue of the DR server missing the drive - all good.

My question is with regards to offline seeding. With the temp backup job to build the files for the offline seed, do I:
1. Include the SCSCi 0:5 disk
2. Exclude the SCSI 0:5 disk; or
3. It does not matter

Are there any other issues that others may have experienced doing this kind of replication?

Thanks very much.
nixon
Novice

Liked: never

Re: Seeding a Repl job with an excluded disk

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:17 am

I do not believe that matters. You may want to try to seed this VM with excluded disk from the backup job, however we need to double-check that.

Here is a detailed description of replica seeding procedure: v6 Offsite Replication : Seeding How To (if required)
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1145 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Replication with excluded disks

Veeam Logoby renpen » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:15 pm

[merged]

Hi, I am using VBR 6.0 (patch 3) and setup a backup job of a VM which has 7 disks on it. I have excluded the last 4 disks as these are not required and have selected the option to exclude disks from VM configuration. I have then transported this backup across to a DR site and setup a replication job with seeding and pointing to the repository where the backup file exists. The error I get when running the replication job is

Error: Backup file does not contain all VM disks and cannot be used as a seed.

In the replication job I have again excluded the disks that were excluded in the backup job. Either removing these disks or leaving all disks in the job produce the same error message as above.

Anyone else expoerienced this?? Habe logged a call with support and initial reponse has been quite poor.
renpen
Influencer

Full Name: Rene Lahaye

Re: Replication with excluded disks

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:04 pm

I've confirmed with QC, currently you cannot use the backup job with excluded disks as a seed (irrespective of whether they are also excluded in the corresponding replication job). Moreover, if you have a backup job containing all VM disks and use it as a seed for the replication job where some disks are excluded, in case of restore you will get those disks on a replica VM at the time when that VM was backed up (they will not be updated by the replication job). Maybe this behavior will change somehow in future updates.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby renpen » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:02 am

Thanks Foggy, figured it may be a bug or shortcoming in ver 6.0. It would be nice if first level Veeam support knew about this issue and could quickly answer - save us all a heap of time!!
renpen
Influencer

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:37 am

You should be able to perform a manual restore of the VM without the excluded disk and then simply map the replica. That's basically all the "seeding" process does anyway.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1821 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby renpen » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:41 am

yes, I tried this but it seems to scan the entire VM as CBT changes have not been tracked. I only have a 2MB link so when I tried this the calculating disk digests took hours just to get over 1%

Thanks
renpen
Influencer

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:56 am

That would indicate that you don't have the proxies configured correctly. There needs to be a proxy on both the source and the target side of the link. The proxy on the target will perform the scan so that the speed is not impacted by the link bandwidth. If you do have two proxies and you're still seeing this issue then you may need to manually select the proxies in the job configuration.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby renpen » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:05 am

pretty sure I checked this but will try again..

Thanks
renpen
Influencer

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:30 am

The entire concept of replica mapping is that you can use it for seeding in cases where a copy of the VM is already on the target side, perhaps from a previous replication job, an alternative replication technology, or even a restore of a VM. If it's using significant bandwidth during the "calculate disks digests" step then something is not configured correctly.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby nixon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:10 am

So it sounds as if it is best to "1. Include the SCSCi 0:5 disk" in the backup job for seeding.
Thanks for your help.
nixon
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:16 am

Nixon, you can try what Tom has suggested: backup the VM with this disk excluded, restore it manually, and then map the replica job to the restored VM. Should work. Otherwise you'll have this disk outdated on the replica VM.
foggy
Veeam Software

Replicate with different settings from original vm

Veeam Logoby dbarroco » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:56 am

[merged]

Hello,

I know this might be odd but I'd like to check for a procedure on the following scenario:

One of the VM's on the original cluster has a RDM disk. Backups are made with Veeam, disk is excluded, it goes well.

We're also replicating vm's to a DR site. This is where it gets more complex:

When seeding this particular VM from the backup it errors due to a missing disk. (this RDM disk contents are also replicated between 2 servers with MS DFSR so no backup to consider here for the purpose).

My questions:
Can I manage replica snapshots and future failover + failback with different vm settings on each host? (original with RDM disk, failover host without this disk).

If the above is not doable (because the vm is different on each site), how could I make this replication and failover happen?

Thank you
David
dbarroco
Novice

Full Name: David B

Veeam Logoby dbarroco » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:23 am

Hello,

My post was merged here. This is what I had in mind, using a restore and a mapping procedure.

However I was not too sure on the following:

When failing over and/or back, the disk information in the only info that crosses between hosts? Won't the vm configs be rewritten?

Thank you
David
dbarroco
Novice

Full Name: David B

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:34 am 1 person likes this post

David, if you exclude the disk in replication job, VM config will not be rewritten.
foggy
Veeam Software

Next

Return to VMware vSphere