Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Billyz
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Billy Taraz

Slow Network vs. Slow Server

Post by Billyz »

Hello Everyone,

I'm facing a problem and i was not able to identify the source of it yet, let me start by drawing my infrastructure and then explain:

-I have a VSphere 6.5 Esxi version: 2 virtual Machines there, one is server that we work on (app server) with 20 stations connected to it (cashier) and the second server is Veeam
1 raid with SAS drives = Installed Esxi on it and the other Raid with SSD = installed the VM's on it
-I have another Vsphere Esxi Server which i used veeam to replicate live replication (continuously) on in order not to lose data
-I have a QNAP (NAS Storage) for the Backup Jobs also of these 2 Vm's

The Problem:

When Veeam is disabled, the users doesn't face any lake of connectivity between the work stations and the app server but when Veeam is performing Backup or replication the slowness starts there.
I tried to Monitor a ping from work station to the App server, i noticed the response by ms goes very high when there is a replication. So i isolated the networks by creating 2 virtual network cards in veeam VM and gave them different ip address's and assigned 1 physical Ethernet for each one from the Esxi, after that i plugged a network cable from first Ethernet (replication) >> directly to the 2nd Esxi Server and the second ethernet (backup) directly to Qnap.

the backup speed went faster but the slowness and the lag still there when Veeam is performing backup or replication.

I noticed that i'm receiving a warning about [Changed block tracking cannot be enabled: one or more snapshots present] i went to the options of veeam and i noticed both options are on please check below:

I'm not sure if i should disable any of these options and what is the cause of my issue,
Note: i don't have Backup Proxy other than the same Veeam VM and i'm not sure if it would help in my case and i don't know if this is caused from the snapshots.

i would really appreciate any help regarding this case.

Thank you
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Slow Network vs. Slow Server

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the warning means you need to fix the snapshots before doing anything with Veeam. As long as there are old snapshots and CBT cannot be enabled, there will be issues with backup and replication

Backup from storage snapshots checkbox makes no difference with local disks.

The CBT checkboxes need to be enabled. But first the old snapshots need to be fixed. Caution: this manual snapshot consolidation can take a long time and cause performance issues... But it needs to be done first.

Best regards,
Hannes
Billyz
Novice

Post by Billyz »

thank you for your reply :)

Do you mean in Vsphere i have to perform Snapshop consolidation by Right-click the virtual machine and click Snapshot > Consolidate?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Yes, exactly. But keep in mind, that creates high IO load depending on how long the snapshot already exists.
Billyz
Novice

Post by Billyz »

it wont be a problem since i will perform it at night. :D