Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pizang
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Snapshot on VVOL timeout

Post by pizang »

We have a problem after migrating to vSphere 6.0 and VVols. Our production storage is 2xEquallogic 4100 with 8.0.6 firmware. We have a pretty big file server with almost 8TB of data. It didn't cause any problem when using regular VMFS snapshots. Now I am not able to backup it using Veeam and I try to find out a problem.

When I make a snapshot on vSphere level it takes about 2 minutes and it is ready. When I run a backup job veeam initiates backup procedure and tries to make a snapshot of that VM. After 30 min snapshot times out (it stays on 100% status in vSphere console for most of that time) and backup job fail. After that snapshot is in place and I have to remove it manually.

I thought it is related to VSS (vvols creates another snapshot for that AFAIK) but when I disabled it in backup nothing got better.

I will open a case after some more troubleshooting but maybe someone has an idea why it behaves.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Snapshot on VVOL timeout

Post by foggy »

Yep, contacting support is highly recommended in this case.
markshannon1974
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Shannon

Post by markshannon1974 »

Hi - did you get an answer to this as i have the exact same issue?

thanks
mark
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Might be worth creating your own ticket, since I doubt that OP checks these forums frequently. Thanks.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

If you open the ticket, please share here its number so we can trace it and help future readers, thanks!
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
PaulITGuy
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Paul S

Post by PaulITGuy » 1 person likes this post

this also happened to me in March/April of 2017 and I opened tickets with all vendors (Veeam, VMware, and Nimble). Eventually VMware said it was a bug and would be fixed in 6.0 P5. I converted the VM to VMFS and assumed it would be fixed.

Now, October 2017, I recently expanded a vVol VM from 6TB to 8TB and now I have the same problem snapshots timeout and have to be manually removed. Backups fail. and the VM goes offline for about 30 minutes every time a veeam backup job runs. I am already on ESXi 6.0 P5 so I think that the issue was not patched by VMware. I have opened a VMware ticket again.