Snapshot removal issues of a large VM

VMware specific discussions

Re: [MERGED] VM unresponsive during removing /consolidating

Veeam Logoby Delo123 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:07 am

shlomia wrote:Hi,
I checked my ESXI's and they do not have this update installed.
I'm just scared to manually update, because it says that impact will be a reboot.
Although I have vsphere HA, do I need to scare to do any reboot to the esxi's?

Hi Shlomi,

Put your ESXi Host into maintenance mode before you apply updates, that way you are sure your production will not be harmed. After the ESXi Hosts has rebooted you can take it out of maintenance mode again.
When everything is ok you can proceed with the other hosts in your cluster...
Delo123
Expert

Liked: 101 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

[MERGED] File Share Witness fails because of backupping

Veeam Logoby petteripasanen » Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm

I've set up SQL Cluster which has File Share Witness pointing to FileServer where I store SQL Backups.
When Veeam is finishing backupping this FileServer the File Share Witness fails arbitrate the share because it can't connect to it which then leads Cluster Service shutting down because quorum was lost which then leads SQL Servers in Cluster to terminate unexpectedly.

How can I limit the affect Veeam has on the server it's backupping? I've tried enabling storage latency control but that didn't help.
petteripasanen
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Petteri Pasanen

Re: Snapshot removal issues of a large VM

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu May 25, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi Petteri, you can find some hints as well as explanation of why this happens in this thread.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] Connectivity issues while taking a snapshot

Veeam Logoby analytix » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:04 pm

Hello,

We are using Veeam B&R Enterprise Plus 9.5 update 2. We have encountered a strange issue while taking a snapshot. We have 10 out of 30 VMs which requires to be backed up multiple times in a day and therefore, scheduled a backup job to run every 3 and 6 hours. After making this change, we anticipated that everything will go normal as we were previously taking a backup once a day.

Unfortunately, after scheduling a backup multiple times in a day, users started reporting error of connectivity errors and application errors. We have a virutalized SQL Server and quite a few critical file servers. While taking a snapshot, VM looses network connectivity for a few seconds ( 3 - 6 ping loss) and which is causing the issue. We manually performed the snapshot of VM using vSphere web client and discovered while continuously monitoring ping and result was same. Therefore, to narrow down the issue, it seems that it is VMWare which causes this.

Upon further investigation and research on the internet - we found that few ping loss is normal with VMWare while taking a snapshot. My question is is this something a normal behavior or not? If this is normal behavior then should we use Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows / Linux instead of using VM Agent for taking a backup multiple times in a day.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
analytix
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:21 pm

You're right, this behavior is typical for VMware, please review this thread for details and possible hints on how to eliminate this behavior.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby analytix » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks but not much hint from the thread. Any alternative solution would you recommend such as Veeam Agent for Windows / Linux?
analytix
Novice

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi,

My two cents: You can use integration with storage systems, it should significantly reduce snapshot consolidation time.
Also, latest versions of VMware vSphere contain improvements for the subject. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere