Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
karlochacon
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos Chacon

SQL Backups

Post by karlochacon »

hi guys

ticket: 02815651

I have this case open but I want to be sure about something I have a Veeam Server in vlan 100 and IP 10.6.25.x and several customers all in different VLANs and ip segments, we have all these customer in our Vmware environment since we provide IaaS for customers right now we backup all their VMs without any issue but now customer want to backup SQL and Exchange

Let's say I have this
Veeam server VLAN100 10.6.25.100

Customer 1
multiples VMs with SQL - VLAN 200 - IP segment 10.6.100.x, there is not routing or anything to my veeam server

Customer 2
multiples VMs with SQL and exchange - VLAN 202 - IP segment 10.6.102.x, there is not routing or anything to my veeam server

Can I backup SQL and exchange without any IP communication with my Veeam BK server?

o I need to add a virtual nic for each customer that needs microsoft backups in my veeam server?
how do you manage this kind of scenarios and security concerns about a setup like this? I mean I setup a new VLAN names Veeam Backups and connect all different customer to this VLAN 500 but all my customer will shared an IP that can ping other VM that is not theirs

I hope I explained myself
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Re: SQL Backups

Post by skrause »

You need a network path from your veeam environment to the guests for any application aware processes to be able to function.

If you just want to back up the servers on another VLAN without any application aware processing that shouldn't be a problem.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
karlochacon
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos Chacon

Post by karlochacon »

interested I did some testing doing with an SQL server no ip communication at all from my Veeam BK server... I will try a restore and test on Friday with the SQL guy

I will let you know
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

I may have misspoke a bit.

I believe AAIP will work if you have UAC disabled on the guest machines through the VMware VIX frameworks (or if you are using the local/domain built-in 'Administrator' account *shudder*) without the network path. I had trouble with VIX acting up a while back and fixed my firewalls to allow the direct interaction with the guests over the network.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can also consider using guest interaction proxies.
jayscarff
Service Provider
Liked: 12 times

Post by jayscarff »

Similar situation, I created a backup vlan added a second nic and ip to the virtual center. Set individual jobs per client with corrected creds.
Jason
VMCE