Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rmandrews7
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan Andrews

starting up exchange 2010 in sure backup sandbox

Post by rmandrews7 »

Hello All,

I am having issues with my exchange server not starting all of its services in my sure backup job. All firewalls are off, I made sure the domains controllers can ping the exchange server and the exchange server can ping all DC's. I restarted the netlogon services on all my dc's. I see that when I log into the exchange server that it indeed authenticates against a DC in my sandbox.

On the exchange server, I am receiving Topology error messages in the logs stating that Topology discovery failed due to LDAP_Server_Down error.

Has anyone run into this issue before spinning up exchange in a sure backup environment? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ryan
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Re: starting up exchange 2010 in sure backup sandbox

Post by chrisdearden »

Did you put a DC or a GC in your Lab ?
Do you have multiple Vm's are part of exchange or are HT and Mailbox all on the same VM?

Does the Domain Controller have functioning DNS on it ? can you do a successful DNS lookup for the LDAP service record inside the lab?
rmandrews7
Influencer

Post by rmandrews7 »

I have three dc's in the lab that are also GC's. I have two vm's that are apart of my exchange environment, both are in the surebackup job and can communicate with eachother. Yes, the DC's have function DNS on them.
zoltank
Expert
Liked: 41 times

Post by zoltank »

In SureBackup you only need one DC (provided it's a GC) for Exchange 2010. Having more than one will simply eat up resources and slow things down.

If your Hub Transport role is on a seperate VM, it needs to be running when the Mailbox VMs are brought up.

I've found the Mailbox VMs will start with their Exchange services not running. When I'm testing something I'll just start the services manually. If it's running as an automated SureBackup job than I'll have my test script start the services before performing any tests.
rmandrews7
Influencer

Post by rmandrews7 »

I added the mailbox role to the mailbox server I am trying to spin up and I am receiving error code 10061
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ryan, what is your SureBackup job configuration? Based on your posts above, I see that you can successfully boot the DC VM via application group (the DC role is enabled for this VM and all verification checks complete successfully), right? How many VMs are you trying to boot at a time?
zak2011
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Arun

Case:00127518- starting up exchange 2010 in sure backup sand

Post by zak2011 »

Hi,
I am facing the same issue as Ryan. Exchange 2010 services are not able to start up in the sandbox for a while now. My Application Group consists of one DC( scripts enabled ) with two exchange VMs, one is configured as a Hub Transport" and "Client Access and the other is a "Mailbox".
Support has been working with for a while now , unfortunately not much success. Since the backups were running on a dedup device, we suspected the backup repo. So we moved the backup repo to a normal storage and tried to run the Sure Backup job and its the same thing.
Any ideas why the services don't start in the virtual lab?