Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
thubbell
Novice
Liked: never

Storage Infrastructure with DELL EMC

Post by thubbell »

Hi,

we have an EMC Storage, which is used for 3 ESXI hosts combined into a cluster. The ESXI machines are connected via SAS to that storage. I have seen that this kind of storage is supported by B&R 9.5. The official documentation says this
To use the Direct SAN access transport mode, make sure that the following requirements are met:
 It is strongly recommended that you assign the role of a backup proxy working in the Direct SAN access
mode to a physical machine. If you assign this role to a VM, the backup proxy performance may not be
optimal.
 A backup proxy using the Direct SAN access transport mode must have a direct access to the production
storage via a hardware or software HBA. If a direct SAN connection is not configured or not available
when a job or task starts, the job or task will fail.
 SAN storage volumes presented as VMware datastores must be exposed to the OS of the backup proxy
that works in the Direct SAN access transport mode.
The volumes must be visible in Disk Management but must not be initialized by the OS. Otherwise, the
VMFS filesystem will be overwritten with NTFS, and volumes will become unrecognizable by ESX(i) hosts.
To prevent volumes initialization, Veeam Backup & Replication automatically sets the SAN Policy within
each proxy to Offline Shared.
 [For restore operations] A backup proxy must have write access to LUNs where VM disks are located.
If I understand this right, the Veeam Proxy must be cabled via SAS to the storage? What would be he biggest advantage by using this type of backup?
Alex Uryumtsev
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Alexander Uryumtsev

Re: Storage Infrastructure with DELL EMC

Post by Alex Uryumtsev »

Hi,

The biggest advantage is performance. It provides the fastest data transfer speed and produces no load on the production network.

If you have any questions left, let me know.

BR,
Alex