Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lrhazi
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mohamed Lrhazi

Surebackup concurrency when using Application Group

Post by lrhazi »

So I changed a Surebackup job, from using two linked backup jobs, to using just one application group.
It seems to do one VM at a time, and am not seeing where to change that in the Surebackup job....

Is there a way to get it to do more than one VM at a time?

Using latest version, 12.1.0.2131

Thanks,
Mohamed.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Surebackup concurrency when using Application Group

Post by Mildur »

Hi Mohamed

May I ask why you want to use application groups instead of linked jobs? Machines in a application group are powered on one by one in the specified order.

Typically, you assign machines to the application group based on the services that other machines in linked jobs rely on.
First all machines from the application group get started and tested. Then the SureBackup will start and test machines from the linked job.

Since v12.1, you can exclude specific machines from a linked job. Those excluded machines won't be tested in the SureBackup session.
There is also a randomizer option. You can configure to only test a random specific amount of machines each SureBackup session.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
lrhazi
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mohamed Lrhazi

Post by lrhazi »

Thanks Fabian. I thought I'd use Application Groups, to avoid the limitation of Surebackup remembering and testing VMs in linked jobs forever.... for as long as backups exist in the backup chain... which could be years and years....

Yes, I noticed they added "Exclude VMs".... but the the exclude button seems to only show me VMs currently listed in the linked backup job, not VMs that have been removed, but still exist in the backup chains....
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Thanks for explaining.
The idea behind Sure Backup is to verify recoverability for the most recent restore point.
If a machine was removed from your infrastructure, we see two scenarios:
- Option 1: You don't need the backups anymore. You can delete them together with the machine.
- Option 2: You want to keep the backups of a deleted machine for the rest of their retention. In such case you also want to make sure that those backups can be used for a restore. That's why those backups are tested even if the machine is deleted.

There is a workaround.
Use our Move Backup feature to move backups of such machine to another "job". Important: The target job needs to have the same retention setting.
After you have moved the backup files out of the linked job, it won't get tested anymore by the SureBackup Job.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... nother-job

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software