Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
drivesafely
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Drivesafely

Surebackup Custom predined scripts

Post by drivesafely »

Hello to All,

I want to create new XML predefined scripts for Surebackup jobs.
I check the below link on how to do so, but have some doubts if someone could help me with,
Link: http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/v ... files.html

1) I want to create xml scripts for every vm individually. How do i create Unique identifier for it ? It should be unique, so does it mean giving any random sequence number works ?
2) I want to test the Application for several ports like 80, 1433, 3300 etc. against one VM. How to modify the script to include all the ports in a single script file ?
3) There is MaxBootTimeoutSec and AppInitDelaySec in the script file as well as same options to select in the Application Group wizard-Startup options. Which one works if there is difference in the script and the wizard option ?

Please guide

Thanks,
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Surebackup Custom predined scripts

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

It should be unique, so does it mean giving any random sequence number works ?
Yes, it does.
How to modify the script to include all the ports in a single script file ?
You have to create your own script that checks application availability on given ports and specify the path to the script within XML file.
Which one works if there is difference in the script and the wizard option ?
In this case, MaxBootTimeout and AppIntDelay from XML will be chosen as default values for GUI. So to say, if you set some numbers inside XML files for the said parameters, these numbers should be automatically picked up by wizard. If you check several roles for one VMs, the numbers specified in different XML files will be summed up. Also, you can go to the GUI and overwrite picked up values manually.

Thanks.
drivesafely
Influencer

Post by drivesafely »

Hello Vladimir Eremin,

Thanks for reply.

I tried to modify the script file (based on default xml files in the SbRoles folder). I want to test like 10 ports against a VM. As per the script file, i can only test one port with each file. So i have to create 10 xml files for each VM. E.G. the line in that xml file "<Arguments>%vm_ip% 80</Arguments>" checks the port 80 only.Can you guide how to edit the xml file to include the test for all the ports i need in a single file instead of one ?

Also i noted, that i created few xml files each with different ports to test. When i select the Roles i created (xml file i created in SbRoles folders) in the Application Group VM selection options, it only accepts/test with the first role (xml file). Others are not accepted/tested during the surebackup job. Same when i select all manually from the test predefined script dropdown option, it does the test for all the roles/xml files selected.

I just want to create single role for a vm, which has all the ports included that i want to test in the surebackup job.

I hope am clear. Please guide.

Thanks again.
veremin
Product Manager

You should create several different xml files to test application availability on different ports (one per port) and select them all as the roles for given VM. The behavior you experience (only first XML is selected) looks unexpected. So, I recommend you double checking the correctness of XML file, especially control characters ("<",">"). If everything looks great, then, feel free to open a ticket with our support team.

Thanks.
drivesafely
Influencer

Post by drivesafely »

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The other approach might be to create custom scripts that checks ports in the sequence and successes only if application is available on all ports. Something like,

Code: Select all

Is application available on 80? Yes => Is application available on 1433? Yes =>
However, in this case the troubleshooting will be a challenge , as it won't be obvious what port hasn't passed verification.

Thanks.
drivesafely
Influencer

Post by drivesafely »

Hi,

I would like to clear a doubt about the "Unique identifier of a VM role" option that is used in the script (as <Id>ALPHA-NUMERIC-VALUES</Id> ).
I am using the exact UUID of the VM as the value in that field and that all the script/xml files that i create for that single VM with different ports to test have the same UUID mentioned. Is it that i have to mentioned unique/different id for each xml file even though it is for the same VM ?

I have a doubt that it could be due to this that only one role is tested during surebackup job and not the rest.

Please guide.

Thanks,
veremin
Product Manager

Yes, different roles should have different IDs. Thanks.
drivesafely
Influencer

Post by drivesafely »

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

A final question ! Can that "Unique identifier of a VM role" value can be any number ? e.g. 1, 2, 3 ...( i.e. <id>1</id> ) and so on OR it must be in this same type of format - <Id>4CDC7CC4-A906-4de2-979B-E5F74C44832F</Id> ?

Please guide.

Thanks,
drivesafely
Influencer

Post by drivesafely » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

While testing i change the "Unique identifier of a VM role" of each xml file with unique value for the single VM. The good thing is that all scripts are running well as expected :)

In response to my previous post, i change the value of the "Unique identifier of a VM role" with single number, but it says it must be 32 characters with dash in between.

Thanks for all the support.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Glad to hear that you've nailed it. Should other help be needed, don't hesitate to let us know. Thanks.