Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
azc
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Andrew Carpenter

SureBackup fails

Post by azc »

Hi folks,

I've set up my first SureBackup job but it's currently failing. I suspect it's the network configuration of my Virtual Lab.

Here's the configuration summary of "Virtual Lab 1":

Code: Select all

Lab name:	Virtual Lab 1
ESX name:	ccesx05.cirencester.local
Datastore:	IFT-LUN18_Servers

Appliance:	
   Name:		Virtual_Lab_1
   Pool name:		Virtual Lab 1
   Folder name:	Virtual Lab 1

IP:		<Obtain automatically>

DNS:	<Obtain automatically>

Network configuration type:	basic single-host

Network options:
      Isolated network:  Virtual Lab 1 LAN
      Masquerade IP:     11.0.0.0
      Appliance IP:      10.0.1.1
      DHCP:              enabled

Network mapping:
   LAN              --> Virtual Lab 1 LAN
I have an Application Group called "Domain Controller" which contains our Domain Controller, "CCDC01". I created a SureBackup job which uses "Virtual Lab 1", with Application Group "Domain Controller", linked to a job "CCEXCH01" which is our Exchange Server.

When I run the SureBackup job, it successfully boots the machine "Virtual_Lab_1" and registers and starts the backup copy of "CCDC01".

It passes the Heartbeat test, but then fails the Ping test and Application tests.

Where am I going wrong? Any and all help very much appreciated.

Thanks.
azc
Enthusiast

Re: SureBackup fails

Post by azc »

In the network options of "Virtual Lab 1" it states that the Appliance IP is 10.0.1.1 - is this the IP that the VM "Virtual_Lab_1" should have?

According to the vSphere Client, that VM has an IP from DHCP of 10.10.242.205

Do I need to set a static DHCP reservation for the VM, or should the IP assignment be something that was done automatically by Veeam?
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

Andrew, 10.0.1.1 is the IP address of Appliance in isolated network. In general, it should reflect IP address of gateway in your production network.
10.10.242.205 is the address of Appliance in production network, since you get to heartbeat and ping test, I assume that such address working fine, because Appliance is being pinged at the beggining of the job.
If you have some concerns about it - you could try to ping that address manually from Backup console when job is working.

Also do you have Backup console and Appliance in the same physical network segment? It should be so for correct routing from console to masquerade addresses through Appliance.
azc
Enthusiast

Post by azc »

Hi nefes, thanks for replying.

I'm afraid I don't quite follow what you're telling me. The gateway in our LAN is 10.10.0.1 - should I edit the Virtual Lab and change the Appliance IP to 10.10.0.1?

Everything is on the same physical network segment, as it's a flat network.
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

Yes, please try to set 10.10.0.1 as Appliance IP in the isolated network.
To do so you should switch Appliance into Advanced Single-Host mode and edit vNIC at Networking step.

If that will not help, I think the best way for solving your issue would be contacting support team.
azc
Enthusiast

Post by azc »

Hi nefes, thanks for replying.

I have switched the Virtual Lab into Advanced Single-Host Mode and given it the IP address 10.10.0.1 and Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0, which is what we use on our network.

Now when I run the SureBackup, it passes both the Heartbeat test and the Ping test!

However, it then fails the script tests.

Error code 10061 seems to be TCP Connection Refused. I don't know why it's being refused.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2711 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Looks like a firewall issue on the verified VM to me.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Maybe the tested VM is a Windows 2008 or newer? When firing up the Vm in virtual lab, windows firewall recognize the lab network as a new one, and so applies "public" firewall settings since is not the same network configured in production. A workaround is to completely disable the windows firewall into the VM, or configure it to accept connection from every type of network, both work/domain or public.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
azc
Enthusiast

Post by azc »

dellock6, thanks for replying.

Yes the server is running 2008R2, so this sounds like the issue to me. I will need to modify the firewall settings on the VM, then test again once a new backup has been taken. Thanks for the tip.