Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
matteu
Veeam Legend
Liked: 118 times

SureBackup for all the VMs ?

Post by matteu »

Hello,

This is not about technical issue but about some advices I would like.

I know there are different posisbilities to use surebackup job :
-1 Application group with 1 DC and some other VM
-1 Application group with only 1 DC and linked job to test all the VM in the job
-Only linked job and use advance feature to add application tests.

How do you prefer to use it ?

Until now I just show to my customer with one Application group and some VMs within it but this doesn't test all the backuped vms.

If I want to test it, I need to link my job, and it contains arround 150 VMs. I see we can choose to test only X vm in parallel but I suppose I can't test all the 150 VMs within the maintenance windows.

Maybe daily I need to test only on some VM and 1/month I schedule a total surebackup ?

What advices can you give me about it :)

Maybe there are some recommandation on a topic but I didn't find it.

Thanks !
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: SureBackup for all the VMs ?

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

OnDemand Labs:
Pack all Server in the Application Group and use A Sure Backup Job with "keep the Servers running" on the Application group that you select.

SureBackup Automatic Testing:
Pack all server that are needed before you can test individual server into the Applicaiton Group.
Use the SureBackup job and link the backup jobs.
That way SureBackup starts first the Application Groups and then test 1 by 1 in groups the server.

Example: To be able to test a full ERP workflow you likely do the following...
- Start an Application Group with: DNS, Directory Server (maybe AD),Database Server
- Then test the application servers 1:1 and create a script that opens the application from a client and see if yu can authenticate and get some data from the database through the application server.
That way you have tested the complete workflow.
matteu
Veeam Legend

Post by matteu »

Thank you for your answer.
Maybe I didn't explain correctly what I would like.

When you do surebackup job, do you test all your infrastructure to be sure all vms can be restored or only some (business need) ?
If you test all, that mean it can take a lot of hours if you have hundred vm and not esx host dedicated to it right ?

I suppose if you have dedicated host for surebackup you can test lot of vm but if you don t have dedicated host you just can test some workflow ?
I can't use linked job when I have more than 150 vm on it because I use vmware tag.
I think I have to schedule surebackup after the backup job and use only application group in this case, am I right ?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

I am not sure what you mean by Tag and 150VMs limitation. Do you have more then 150VMs in the Job and your fear that it would take verly long?

Regarding resources, usually you have enough spare resources available on the hosts in the "night" to run the SureBackup.
I would start with the most critical one that your buisness depend on. Then go from there and extend the test. Maybe run a full test on the weekend ?

In the end the timing is a matter of resources and paralellization with it. Remember for some of the VMs lot´s of memory the test do not need that amount of memory and you can reduce the momery usage in the SureBackup settings.

150VM with 10 parallel testings are 15 sequential. Each run ~5 min and you should end below 2 hours.
matteu
Veeam Legend

Post by matteu »

Thank you again for your answer :)

I am not sure what you mean by Tag and 150VMs limitation. Do you have more then 150VMs in the Job and your fear that it would take verly long?
Yes, this is exactly what I fear about :). I can't poweron 150 vm on infrastructure when there are not ESX dedicated for surebackup. I need to poweron 5 by 5 or maybe 15 by 15.
When I launch surebackup job for 1 / 2 VM it takes arround 15 min (when application test is done but maybe not when it's not) that means for 150 it will take really long time... Am I right ?

It's OK for storage I suppose because that doesn't consome lot of storage. It's not ok for ram / cpu.

Yes, you're right. I need to adjust memory and CPU reduction with the option provided by Veeam :)

If it's only 5 min it should be ok yes :)

I will test it but thank you again for your answer :)
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Are you aware of the setting in the the Linke Jobs area of the surebackup job where you can select specific numbers of VMs that are processed in parallel?

Even if it is 15min and you do 10 VMs that is roughly 4h
matteu
Veeam Legend

Post by matteu »

Yes, I am.

You're right, I can test this job one day and an other an other day :) . (I don't have only 1 job with 150 VM but arround 400 total).

This completely answer to my question :) Thanks for your help !