Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Aremac
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam Pierce

Surebackup Jobs fail because issue with DC

Post by Aremac »

I've had a long standing issue where Surebackup job, virtual labs, etc fail due to the domain controller coming up without the SYSVOL shares coming up. Manual intervention is needed to get the DC up by setting the BURFLAG registry setting for DC restore. This of course renders the automated functionality of Surebackup jobs useless. This issue has be present for quite a while, spanning versions, and i've opened two cases with no resolution as yet. The last case, case #0052461 the enigeer said "I just checked with our higher tier team about that particular error and it's been put as a known issue and there is a pending request for a fix for the moment.I'll put the case into the research status and I will let you know as soon as the fix is available."

I've not seen anything on the forums to lead me to believe this is a known issue with a pending fix. Can that be validated? and has anyone else had a similar issue. Basically the DC boots fine no issues or errors, veeam logs show it being prepped as a DC, I can see in the logs where the burflag is being set, etc. But when the DC boots, even after 2nd boot cycle, it doesn't function as a DC until I manually put it into restore mode with the BURFLAG settings. The issue is intermittent in that the exact same surebackup job from the same backup restore point can fail, then succeed, or fail multiple times, succeed, then fail again.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Surebackup Jobs fail because issue with DC

Post by veremin »

Hi, Sam,

Can you tell me:

1) What is the version of DC?
2) Is AAIP enabled in the backup job?
3) Is DC role selected in SureBackup job?
4) What is the number of your case? One digit seems to be missing in the number provided (0052461).

Thanks.
Aremac
Enthusiast

Post by Aremac »

1) What is the version of DC?
2008R2
2) Is AAIP enabled in the backup job?
Yes
3) Is DC role selected in SureBackup job?
yes
4) What is the number of your case? One digit seems to be missing in the number provided (0052461).
Follow up for case 00524601 - sorry left out a '0'

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The restoration of domain controller in surebackup lab should be conducted in authoritative mode. Meaning, VB&R should apply all required steps in automatic fashion, writing necessary burflags to the registry, etc. The described behavior looks unexpected, as no manual interaction should be needed.

I've already asked QA team to take a look at your case; will update the topic, once I have more information.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

There must have been slight misunderstanding between you and support team regarding this "known" bug. As I've already mentioned, the behavior described by you looks totally unexpected. The support team will re-open your ticket and right person will take over your case.

For now, you can reproduce the problem again and collect the following logs, as most likely the support team will need whole bunch of them to find the root cause:

1) VB&R guest logs.
2) Event logs from ntfs, system. Ideally, we would like to have all event logs.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Additionally, can you tell me whether issues started occurring right after Patch#3 installation or they had existed before? Thanks.
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

I am seeing issues as well. Just opened a ticket yesterday - not response yet.

Case #00572234
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

According to the case, your issue seems to be different to the one discussed above. Please, provide support team with the following logs from the stuck DC:

1) All event logs stored inside C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs.
2) Content of C:\ProgramData\Veeam\.

Thanks.
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

I ended up bumping the timeout for the application test to 10 minutes. Not sure why but some times the initiation of the reboot takes significantly longer than others.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Glad to hear that you're up and running now. The increased start timeout might, indeed, help to avoid issues related to delayed initiation. Thanks.
Aremac
Enthusiast

Post by Aremac »

Thanks,

I have re-enganged with support and running requested tests. The issue existed before Patch 3 and have persisted over patches (was hoping patches would resolve it) I suspected is wasn't a 'known' issue as I'd expect far more traffic on the fourms if that was the case. Thanks for the help.