Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
inventica
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Victor

SureBackup SBS2008 in Safe Mode on VMWare Esxi5 and Veeam 6

Post by inventica »

Hello!

Could someone pls point me in the right direction with sure backup, as I'm feeling like I'm bashing my head against brick wall!

I configured a sure backup job to test an SBS 2008 VM with Exchange. The VM boots okay, however it boots in safe mode and then doesn't do anything or at least I was inpatient not waiting for more than 40 minutes in front of "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del" screen.

Then the job crashes with errors like

"OS did not boot in the alloted time"

or

"Application Group failed to start"

Initially I thouught that I didn't give it enough time, so I changed surebackup settings to wait 8000 seconds but funny enough, no matter how much time I give - this beast crashes on me in about 40 minutes.

I tried logging on using console and reboot the server but it still boots in safe mode. I reckon that the root on the problem is safe mode. Veeam can run the application tests because services that it needs to test are not running, so it fails. and serivces are not running because it's in safe mode.

I found this article but not sure if this is the solution to my problem: http://www.veeam.com/KB1277

can somebody help please?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SureBackup SBS2008 in Safe Mode on VMWare Esxi5 and Veea

Post by foggy »

Victor, have you tried what is suggested in the given article? Seems to be the case.
gazzer82
Lurker

SBS 2008 and SureBackup

Post by gazzer82 »

[merged]

Hello Veeam World,

I have an install of Veeam with the latest patches and have been trying for a couple of weeks to get SureBackup to work.

The problem we have is with an SBS 2008 machine that never seems to exit DC Restore Mode, which means it never reboots out of safemode and always fails the surebackup tests.

I have extended all the timeouts to ridiculous level of many hours, but the server just sits there only allowing the ./Administrator login.

Has anyone actually managed to get SureBackup to work with SBS before i open a ticket with veeam.

Thanks

Gareth
gazzer82
Lurker

Re: SureBackup SBS2008 in Safe Mode on VMWare Esxi5 and Veea

Post by gazzer82 »

I have this exact same problem, Victor did you every resolve it?

I have followed the steps in the KB article and it does resolve the issue after the reboot, but i would have to do this manually every time a backup is done, somewhat undermining the usefulness of SureBackup in the first place?

Does anyone know of a way to script this so that it get's run automatically??

Thanks

Gareth