Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

SureBackup - Start to.... why is Time picker displayed?

Post by stuartmacgreen »

SureBackup job - right click and the option to choose "Start to.." presents a dialog that states "Most recent backup made prior to this date"
It displays a date picker and a time picker.
What is the point of the time picker.?

Let me expand with example.

SureBackup job has an application group with 1 VM. (This VM is backed up out of office hours - everyday, is what I know, without looking into the specific time its scheduled) So I know it would be backed up sometime between 18:00 and 06:00 say. In actual fact it is scheduled for 18:15

I proceed to open the Start to.. dialog and prefills showing me todays date and the current time. 11/10/2012 09:54
I want to run the surebackup job to use the backup that would have been taken 09/10/2012-10/10/2012
I thought I would just pick 10/10/2012 leaving 09:54 as the time, thinking it would go to the 'most recent backup' made before this date AND time.
Instead it picked the backup taken 10/10/2012 18:15 which is in effect the most recent backup after this date AND time.
The dialog is a bit ambiguous in its text.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SureBackup - Start to.... why is Time picker displayed?

Post by foggy »

Stuart, seems that it indeed works differently from how it is described in the dialog. It takes the closest restore point to the time specified (in absolute value). I've passed this info to our QC, thanks for pointing that out.