Target vCenter Server Appliance or Direct to Host

VMware specific discussions

Target vCenter Server Appliance or Direct to Host

Veeam Logoby resruss » Tue May 19, 2015 8:41 am

We've got a couple of customers using the vCenter Server Appliance
One of which is running VCSA 5.0, with the Oracle database
In the past, we've had issues trying to do even incremental updates of this, let alone updating to 5.5

This particular customer is running only 2 hosts on vSphere 5 Essentials licensing.

From what I understand, if we were to join the 2 hosts to a new vCenter Server, it would cause all backups to become full for the next pass.
This is because of the moRefId changing I believe.

This has left me with 3 questions:

1. Is there way within Veeam GUI to map the moRefID for each VM to the existing Veeam backups, to avoid having a full backup if moving to a new vCenter later?
2. If we were adding a bunch of new VMs down the track, can we the 2 hosts directly as managed servers and target them directly?
3. If so, what benefits would we lose by targeting them directly (I'm aware of folders, but unsure what options we'd have to vMotion or Migrate a VM back into production if running Instant VM Recovery)

Thanks.
resruss
Service Provider

Liked: 6 times

Re: Target vCenter Server Appliance or Direct to Host

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue May 19, 2015 12:53 pm

Hello,

resruss wrote:1. Is there way within Veeam GUI to map the moRefID for each VM to the existing Veeam backups, to avoid having a full backup if moving to a new vCenter later?

No, you can map backup job to existing backup, but since the moref ID is changed, this VM will be treated as new one.
resruss wrote:2. If we were adding a bunch of new VMs down the track, can we the 2 hosts directly as managed servers and target them directly?

I would avoid doing this, cause when you decide to migrate any VM from one host to another, you will have to run a full backup pass again. In order to avoid this, vCenter Server connection is recommended, cause morefID of the VMs will be preserved during migration.
resruss wrote:3. If so, what benefits would we lose by targeting them directly (I'm aware of folders, but unsure what options we'd have to vMotion or Migrate a VM back into production if running Instant VM Recovery)

Any VM relocation will cause a full backup, that's the major drawback of using direct host connection.

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1104 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Return to VMware vSphere