Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
fafa24
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Trend Officescan with Veeam 9.03

Post by fafa24 »

Hello All,

Our security department insists that on all our machine AV should be installed. We use Trend Officescan. I noticed this article from Veeam https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/ ... virus.html - Best Practice

I would prefer not to install AV on the Veeam backup server which has also the repository. However I would need some arguments. What is the recommendation of this community? I would think as the article state exclusion is necessary like repository drive and the processing folders. I think the quality and reliability of the backups sets should be weighted more than the security aspects.

Thanks,
deevie
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Re: Trend Officescan with Veeam 9.03

Post by deevie »

Well, I personaly think the veeam backup server should be best secured of all. It has access to all VM's so this is a very interesting machine to launch attacks to other machines. If you secure your antivirus well, you should not have any issues.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

All exclusions are described here: https://www.veeam.com/kb1999 (I prefer the KB article over the one in the helpcenter as it is for 7, 8 and 9.x versions.

This discussion (A/V or not on servers) is a very old one, but for some reason it never goes away :-). I've worked for companies that insisted on having A/V on every server and for companies that allowed exclusions when certain conditions were met and finally for companies that never installed A/V on any server. No matter what situation you are in, my best practices always have been the following:

1. Use the exclusions from the vendor of the workload
2. Don't forget exclusions for other software running on that box (for example, a monitoring agent, think Veeam ONE (https://www.veeam.com/kb2046) or Operations Manager or Nagios.)
3. Secure it as good as possible, as deevie above already said and I fully agree. Especially this one, because of the data it holds.

In the end, if you do the exclusions correct, (I hope your security department is better at it than some of the ones I worked with ;-)) don't forget potential additional software that runs on it, then your backups should run just fine

Hope it helps
Mike
fafa24
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by fafa24 »

Thanks for the input. I appreciate. This article does not mention exclusion for the repository folders, but the article in the helpcenter mentioned it. Does this mean repository storage folder exclusion for AV is not necessary?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The article in fact does mention it:
*Also include the path the backup files*