Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tuscani
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Justin Durrant

Try to backup to DR site

Post by tuscani »

Hey all, here is the deal.. we are trying to backup a copy of a VM to a DR site which has a site-to-site VPN over the Internet (we are using version 6.5) The data is about 300GB. The local backup job details are as follows:

Job name "SERVER" (Reverse Incremental, 10 restore points)

We seeded as follows:

1. Attached USB drive
2. Created a new job called "SERVER_TO_USB"
3. Copied the VBK to the DR site
4. Added a repository which points to remote VEEAM server with appropriate storage allocated

My questions are..

1. The copy on the USB is a few months old, but I assume that shouldn't matter?
2. The USB file only contains the VBK, when we try and map the backup to a new job nothing is found (VBK not enough?)
3. Does the name we created on the to USB job need to be the same as the new job that points to the DR repository?
4. How do I ensure the job to DR site is incremental only and fulls are not attempted?
5. Does it make more since to do a replication job rather than backup given the WAN is site-to-site IPSEC VPN?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Try to backup to DR site

Post by foggy »

tuscani wrote:1. The copy on the USB is a few months old, but I assume that shouldn't matter?
Yes, the backup will be synchronized with the original VM state. All changes since the backup was performed will be copied to the target location.
tuscani wrote:2. The USB file only contains the VBK, when we try and map the backup to a new job nothing is found (VBK not enough?)
To map the backup, you need both VBK and corresponding VBM file from your local repository. Mapping is not possible without VBM file.
tuscani wrote:3. Does the name we created on the to USB job need to be the same as the new job that points to the DR repository?
Not necessarily.
tuscani wrote:4. How do I ensure the job to DR site is incremental only and fulls are not attempted?
You can look at the amount of transferred data in the job statistics.
tuscani wrote:5. Does it make more since to do a replication job rather than backup given the WAN is site-to-site IPSEC VPN?
Amount of traffic will be the same for both job types, so it depends on what you need to have in the target site: compressed and deduped backup file or ready-to-run replica VM.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Try to backup to DR site

Post by veremin »

The USB file only contains the VBK, when we try and map the backup to a new job nothing is found (VBK not enough?)
As mentioned, .vbm file is also required. I’m not sure whether it’s still applicable, but previously there has been a custom PS script responsible for creating missing .vbm file; might be worth taking a look. Thanks.