Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dbb
Novice
Liked: never

Ubuntu 18.04 amd64 repository and perl

Post by dbb »

Has anyone successfully installed the required 32-bit perl modules in 64-bit Ubuntu 18.04 and can share your tips? We hope to use zfs in this new repository, so a 32-bit OS is off the table.

I used

Code: Select all

apt-file search -a i386 Module.pm
to identify 32-bit packages which include the needed modules, but dependency problems prevented me from installing some of them.

I tried

cpan constant Carp Cwd Data::Dumper Encode Encode::Alias Encode::Config Encode::Encoding Encode::MIME::Name Exporter Exporter::Heavy File:::Path File::Spec File::Spec::Unix File::temp List::Util Scalar::Util Socket Storable threads
but this resulted in an unending loop of errors referencing apache. I was not able to copy the error due to the screen changing too fast, and ctrl-c resulting in the error disappearing from the screen.

It appears some folks have succeeded with perlbrew, but I haven't been able to progress toward any solution with the documentation I've found in that regard.

My next thought was to use a 32-bit Linux VM to mount the zfs storage as a shim, but that feels like a kludge.

Any insight please?
dbb
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 amd64 repository and perl

Post by dbb »

Update: I ran the cpan command again, and this time it finished without error. The issue now is that I suppose that cpan is building 64-bit modules, so I need to figure out if there's a way to use it to build 32-bit modules.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Can you clarify what issue you are trying to resolve? As far as I know, to be used as a Veeam repo, a standard Ubuntu 18.04 base server install should not require any extra CPAN modules as all required modules are part of the standard Ubuntu perl install. Veeam does not require that the CPAN modules be 32-bit, only that the system includes required libraries to run a 32-bit binary, which is also the default behavior of Ubuntu 18.04.

Just to test this, I deployed a clean 18.04 using the base server install, upgraded with apt-get to the latest build (18.04.2) and then added that server as a repository to a Veeam 9.5 U4a server and ran backups with no issues. I didn't install any CPAN modules at all.
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd »

I've been running an Ubuntu 18.04 based repo for over a year. I never installed CPAN modules; just built the server, configured VBR console, good to go.

Works very well.
poulpreben
Certified Trainer
Liked: 448 times
Full Name: Preben Berg

Post by poulpreben »

We just came across an issue in a support case where the logs on an Ubuntu repository included:

[13.09.2020 21:17:30] <16> Error    Failed to start PerlSoap protocol (System.Exception)
I checked the available Perl modules on the system according to KB2216 using the following command:

sudo apt install -y perl-doc
perldoc -l Carp constant Cwd Data::Dumper Encode Encode::Alias Encode::Config Encode::Encoding Encode::MIME::Name Exporter Exporter::Heavy File::Path File::Spec File::Spec::Unix File::Temp List::Util Scalar::Util SOAP::Lite Socket Storable threads
This will print the location of each of the installed modules:

$ perldoc -l Carp constant Cwd Data::Dumper Encode Encode::Alias Encode::Config Encode::Encoding Encode::MIME::Name Exporter Exporter::Heavy File::Path File::Spec File::Spec::Unix File::Temp List::Util Scalar::Util SOAP::Lite Socket Storable threads
No documentation found for "SOAP::Lite".
/usr/share/perl/5.26/Carp.pod
/usr/share/perl/5.26/constant.pod
/usr/share/perl/5.26/Cwd.pod
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26/Data/Dumper.pm
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26/Encode.pm
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26/Encode/Alias.pm
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26/Encode/Config.pm
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26/Encode/Encoding.pm
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26/Encode/MIME/Name.pm
/usr/share/perl/5.26/Exporter.pod
/usr/share/perl/5.26/Exporter/Heavy.pod
/usr/share/perl/5.26/File/Path.pod
/usr/share/perl/5.26/File/Spec.pod
/usr/share/perl/5.26/File/Spec/Unix.pod
/usr/share/perl/5.26/File/Temp.pod
/usr/share/perl/5.26/List/Util.pod
/usr/share/perl/5.26/Scalar/Util.pod
/usr/share/perl/5.26/Socket.pod
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26/Storable.pm
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26/threads.pm
As you can see, there is nothing available for the SOAP::Lite module. I have now installed it via apt the apt package libsoap-lite-perl, and the warning disappeared.

I checked a few other repositories, and it seems to be the case on both Bionic (18.04 LTS) and Focal (20.04 LTS). In both cases, we are using Ubuntu server-cloudimg. According to the manifest for Bionic live-server, there is no immediate difference in the pre-installed Perl modules. Manufest for Focal cloudimg here.
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

I also had issues on 18.04 and 20.04 with Ubuntu and Perl errors in the job logs for my VCC test using XFS. I switched over to CentOS 8 and everything just works. There is an issue I think or a bug in 10a when using an Ubuntu server with XFS in a SOBR. For one I did not see all 3 of the 32TB drives (96TB total) it only showed 6xTB. Also with CentOS 8 I see all the space for the three drives. Going to watch this post closely.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose