Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
wjching
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ching Wen Jun

Understanding Veeam Restore Point Calculator

Post by wjching »

Hi All,

Trying to understand the following values on the restore point calculator.

What does the below figure actually tabulate ? For the time growth portion.

Does it mean a change rate of 10 % over the course of 3 Years ?
OR
Does it mean a change rate of 10% yearly for 3 years ?

Also If I have a requirement of change rate lesser than 3 %, is there any other means to calculate it via the calculator ? Or do i need to calculate it manually myself ?

Below is the link of the restore point calculator which I am using.
https://propartner.veeam.com/restore-point-simulator

As always thanks again in advance for any assistance :)

Regards,
Wen Jun.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion or advice :D

Regards,
Wen Jun
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Understanding Veeam Restore Point Calculator

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Wen Jun.
Does it mean a change rate of 10 % over the course of 3 Years ? OR Does it mean a change rate of 10% yearly for 3 years ?
Raw estimate on the amount of data. Basically it means that during the after this amount of time you will have +X% of the source data to protect.
Also If I have a requirement of change rate lesser than 3 %, is there any other means to calculate it via the calculator ? Or do i need to calculate it manually myself ?
That's change rate of the data to estimate the size of the incremental restore points. Why 3% minimum does not work for you? Thanks!
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Re: Understanding Veeam Restore Point Calculator

Post by tdewin »

The growth is yearly. You have to specify the amount of years you want to run the simulation so that it can do the calculation and show you the compound interest rate

So for example if you take 1000 with a 10 pct growth rate and you disable data reduction (select 100 pct), you will see that if you run the simulation 1 year, your fulls are around 1100. If you take the same input but run the simulation for 3 years, the fulls will be around 1320 due to the compound growth over 3 years (+10pct on +10pct on +10pct)

The change rate of 3pct is put in to place so people don't undersize. We backup at a 1 MB block size by default which ensures speed during backup but more importantly speed when doing a restore.