Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
TryToVe34m
Lurker
Liked: never

Understnading Communication of Veeam

Post by TryToVe34m »

Hello,

i am really new to this forum. I am member of our planning-Team our new Veeam-Infrastructure at our company. I already could visit a Veeam Workshop. So i think i got the basic understnading of how to veeam.
But now i got a question on how the communication works in detail.

So, we would like to build a Veeam Management Node(The Intelligence is located there, Backup&Repository 9.5) . And to store the Backup-Data, we would like to build two silly dumb Storage Nodes, that are directly attatched via FIberchannel to our SAN. As far as i understood we can do it so.

1st. question: Is there anything needed (backup proxy eg. etc.) between the Backup Management Server(Backup&Replication 9.5) and the two storage nodes it controls?
2nd. question: what ports must be opened between the Backup Management Server(Backup&Replication 9.5) and the two storage nodes it controls?
3rd. question: How much traffic is expected (Direct SAN method) between the Backup Management Server(Backup&Replication 9.5) and the two storage nodes it controls?

Thank you!

Sincereley yours
Mr. TryToVe34m
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: Understnading Communication of Veeam

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Hi TryToVe34m - welcome to the Veeam Forums.
1. For VMware and Hyper-V backups - there are proxies used to transfer data from source to target.
2. There are port requirements, please go here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 for all information - and specifically for port information go here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 (These are the VMware documentation, you can find all products and Hyper-V equivalent at Helpcenter!)
3. The traffic is 100% dictated on the following:

A. Size of source data
B. Throughput of storage systems
C. Change rate of data between backups
D. Capabilities of backup infrastructure: Proxy compute, network, storage and memory resources; backup target performance; source data latency

One of the best tools to help you navigate that is the bottleneck analysis. It's shown on every backup job in Veeam Backup & Replication and is a very helpful view. On scale - you also should consider using Veeam ONE's Data Protection View to have a good view to the infrastructure for backup.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Mr.TryToVe34m and welcome to the community!

You cannot predict the amount of traffic as it depends on the different parameters as was said by Rick.
You can try to use Restore Point simulator to calculate the approximate size of backups. Thanks!
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Great idea to link the RPS... Also the frequency and type of backups make a difference as well. But this should be a good start.
TryToVe34m
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by TryToVe34m »

Hey, thanks! Restore Point simulator will be tried out.

Can i run this proxy on a storage node? Or is it required to outsource the Veeam proxy to another physical machine?
As already mentioned, we would like to attach the Veeam Backup repository to our SAN via fiberchannel. But as far as i understood, i still need the backup proxy between the Backup-Source(SAN) and the Backup Repository(our storage nodes). So i will install and configure the Veeam Proxy Role e.g. on one of my Storage nodes and this should work then? "We are still POC-mode here).

Thanks!
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hey,

The backup proxy should be deployed to a dedicated windows server as it states in the system requirements. Since you are going to use Direct SAN transport mode your proxy should have a direct fiber connection.

Please review the existing thread about Proxy, that should be helpful for better understanding.
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software

Post by Rick.Vanover »

In addition to DGrinev's links, one way to understand the proxy is that it is a data mover. It reads source, and puts data on target. It needs CPU and Connectivity to do that - and is a Windows service.

Can be Windows 7, 8, 10, Server, core, etc.