Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
adam900331
Veteran
Liked: 22 times

Upgrade B&R 9.5 to 11

Post by adam900331 »

Hy!

I have a Veeam B&R 9.5.4.2866 U4 and I want to upgrade the latest B&R version. I found this article:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

The currently license is: Standard Edition Perpetual
CPU sockets (Hyper-V): 2
CPU sockets (vSphere): 2 (2used)
Instances: 4 (0 used)

When I upgraded the Veeam are there any affect related to the currently license?

I am confused due to this:

Code: Select all

Are you using an instance license to protect some of your vSphere or Hyper-V VMs with agent-based backup jobs in presence of a socket license? As an enforcement of the Veeam Licensing Policy, starting from version 10, hosts, where such VMs are running, will consume socket licenses. This may result in your agent-based backup jobs failing after the upgrade due to insufficient socket licenses. Before upgrading to version 11 or 11a, review the Licensing section of the What’s New in Veeam Backup & Replication 10 document for the detailed description of all changes that happened with version 10 release.
Can I understand correctly If upgraded to v11, I won't use agent based backup?

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2290 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Upgrade B&R 9.5 to 11

Post by Mildur »

Hi Adam

I see that you don't use agent backups at all (0 instances used). So, the upgrade won't affect your current usage (2 sockets vSphere).
When a socket licensing is present and you have added the hypervisor to VBR, agent backups on VMs on this hypervisor will be licensed by the same sockets instead of instances. This allows you to use different backup methods for the same VM without buying different licenses.

Agent backups from physical machines won't be affected. You can use the complimentary instances for them.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
adam900331
Veteran

Post by adam900331 »

Hy Fabian!

So the Agent-based backup consume the 4 available instance license? After the upgrade I want to backup one notebook with agent. Will I create agent based backup after the upgrade?

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Adam

Instance consumption depends on the configured backup job type (workstation vs. server).
- A workstation backup policy will consume "1 instance per 3 workstation"
- A server backup job/policy will consume "1 instance per 1 server".
You can find feature comparison between both types here: https://www.veeam.com/veeam_vaw_val_vam ... son_ds.pdf

I assume you will configure a workstation backup policy for your notebook? In that case 1 instance will be used.
If you add another 2 notebooks to the workstation backup policy, they will use the same instance.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Best,
Fabian
adam900331
Veteran

Post by adam900331 »

Thanks, its clear.

Yes i will configure woekstatiom backup policy. In this case can I protect 12 workstation due to the available 4 instances?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Yes, correct.
4 instances will allow you to backup 12 workstations: