Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
RooDBwoY
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: James Hamilton

Upgrading local hosts to ESX5 = remote WAN job issues?

Post by RooDBwoY »

Morning all,

I am currently going through the process of upgrading our local ESX hosts from v4.1 to v5.0 using an HP-branded image and vCenter Update Manager, which works perfectly. We run Veeam v6 over at our remote facility, and connect the two sites together with a 100mbit fiber link, which again, has been working great. After I upgraded our first local ESX host to v5.0 the jobs over at the remote site started complaining that host {long UID number} ID could not be found (or similar, sorry, cannot remember the exact error message and I've already recreated the jobs) when trying to access the properties of a replication job. I assume this is because the version upgrade of the host has confused the Veeam server?

I have go through and recreate all the jobs and seed from the already stored VM replicas, which is taking forever to get back up to speed. This was after upgrading just one of the hosts and I have a number of other ones to do, which I was planning to do in a phased basis but now fear it will have to be an 'all in one' upgrade, then re-create the jobs again and go through the re-seeding process.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

James.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Upgrading local hosts to ESX5 = remote WAN job issues?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

RooDBwoY wrote:After I upgraded our first local ESX host to v5.0 the jobs over at the remote site started complaining that host {long UID number} ID could not be found (or similar, sorry, cannot remember the exact error message and I've already recreated the jobs) when trying to access the properties of a replication job. I assume this is because the version upgrade of the host has confused the Veeam server?
I have just confirmed with our QC team that in-place upgrade of ESX(i) shouldn't break neither backup nor replication jobs. Most likely the upgrade procedure has changed the UUID for the host (based on your error description) which in turn led to failed replication job.

Are you using direct host connection to access VM data or you've added vCenter Server to the backup console?

On top of that, it would help if you could let our support team have a look at your job log for exact error message.
ZachW
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Zach Weed

Post by ZachW »

As vitaliy said, please create a ticket with support.. And while you are waiting on a response please refrain from re-creating all of your jobs as this should not have to be done in order to get your jobs working.
RooDBwoY
Novice

Post by RooDBwoY »

Yes, that's right. It's added as a vCenter server, rather than individual hosts so I can still take advantage of vMotion/etc. I don't have a log from a failed job as I didn't even let it get as far as failing the jobs. I needed to edit them all and that's when the problem presented itself, so I just re-created them. I couldn't actually get into the job properties at all due to the UUID error.

What I'll do is upgrade another host or two and see what happens, then I'll let a job fail and gather the logs up.

Thanks for responding!

James.
RooDBwoY
Novice

Post by RooDBwoY »

Just a quick update folks.

I've upgraded the rest of my hosts to ESX5 and the jobs still work perfectly so it must just have been a quirk before.

Anyhow, it's all good now so I'm happy.

James.