Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
carlos.garcia.seidor
Influencer
Liked: never

Use Cohesity as Veeam Backup Repository

Post by carlos.garcia.seidor »

Hi,

We have a request of one of our clients to integrate its Cohesity Storage as their Veeam Backup Repository (as a SOBR), within a Veeam Backup and Replication v11a.

We have found this document and it seems to be the latest procedure in order to configure Cohesity on Veeam:

https://www.cohesity.com/resource-asset ... ory-en.pdf

Do you have any knowledge of recent documentation to be more updated than this one (is the version 1.4 from October 2021)?

Best regards
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Use Cohesity as Veeam Backup Repository

Post by Andreas Neufert »

There are some settings that are not ideal, but in general this would work.

When I remember right I saw with the NFS processing a better speed and we in general Veeam recommends the use NFS over SMB.

Follow the guide from Cohesity in case of general setup.

For Veeam Repository:
- Do NOT process with "unlimited" task slots. Always check how many Cores/RAM your Repository system has and follow Veeam best practices. Unlimited task slots can have negative consequences for background processing that starts while backups are processed as there is always a task slot available.
- Enable Allignment
- Disable Uncompress
- Enable per VM chains

For the Job:
Use default settings (Dedup Enabled, Compression enabled, 1MB Block Size (Local Target)

I saw that Cohesity mentioned that they can offload data to the cloud (Tiering) automatically. This is NOT supported within Veeam in general as Veeam access older data frequently and so you would pull data back (that you might not have space for anymore and you pay for egress charges). Use Veeam Cloud Tier functionality instead which does the same but we can control the process.