Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cyberswb
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Shawn Barnhart

UUID migration tool

Post by cyberswb »

I have a question about the UUID migration tool.

The tool clearly says that "the old vCenter should not be used by Veeam Backup anymore" and "Do not run any backups using new vCenter before using Migration tool".

I have a customer who backups a couple of dozen VMs, 2/3rds are in a vCenter 6.0 cluster and 1/3rd are in a vCenter 5.1 cluster. I'd like to move the hosts and VMs from the 5.1 cluster to the 6.0 cluster and use the tool to avoid re-running fulls for the 5.1 VMs.

I'm assuming that the above warnings/directions apply in a simple situation where you have a "brand new" vCenter (unpopulated, new) and an "old, in use vCenter" (populated, old). In our case, we want to *retain* the existing vCenter 6.0 by adding more stuff (from the 5.1 cluster) to it and shut off/remove the old cluster, which would be totally evacuated.

Am I interpreting this correctly? I'm trying not to overthink this, but I want to be sure there's not some gotcha here where the tool must be run on some "virgin" vCenter cluster which has never taken backups from Veeam or hasn't been seen by Veeam before.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: UUID migration tool

Post by foggy »

Hi Shawn, provided you just move the VMs to another vCenter (not moving them back and forth), the tool should work. However, I'd test on a couple of VMs first and check the tool output test file for whether everything is correct and there're no duplicate records in the database.