Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
btn003
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Bjørn-Tore

v5 - VIX Error: Failed to resolve host Code 30006

Post by btn003 »

Hi -

Testing v5 backup job on a win 2008 STD server with enabled application aware image processing and guest file system indexing. Seems it wont accept my credentials, but they are correct. Server is not a domain member. I have tried with servername\Administrator and password. My hosts are Vsphere 4.

Error message:

Starting guest agent
Cannot connect to host [fe80::d1be:41f5:a2fb:567e%10] over VIX library. Login: [Administrator]. GuestLogin: [Administrator].
Error while connecting to the host: [fe80::d1be:41f5:a2fb:567e%10].
VIX Error: Failed to resolve host Code: 30006

Any idea?
Backup job is running ok when the above options are not enabled.

kind r

Bjørn.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: v5 - VIX Error: Failed to resolve host Code 30006

Post by Gostev »

Hello, credentials has nothing to deal with this according to what the error message says. It looks like there is some mess with DNS and/or IP settings. For some reason, connection is being established using IP v6 and this fails. Do you use IP v6 in your environment? You can try to troubleshoot this yourself (look at DNS first).

If you cannot find any issues, for further investigations please open support case and provide full logs, as explained when you click New Topic. Thank you.
btn003
Enthusiast

Post by btn003 »

Yes youre right! Seems it tries to connect using IPv6. I did not see this point. Im not using Ipv6 in my environment so I dont understand why Veeam tries to use IPv6. The backup server is a Workgroup Virtual Appliance.
btn003
Enthusiast

Post by btn003 »

I resolved this error by disable ipv6 on Veeam server NIC. I had forgotten to do this by installation. Thanx.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello, glad to hear you've resolved it, and thank you ver much for updating the topic with resolution.
vihag
Novice

VIX Error on one guestt - Tries to use IPV6

Post by vihag »

[merged]

I have one guest that fails on an application aware backup. Non application aware backups work fine. The error I'm getting is:

Starting guest agent
Cannot connect to host [fe80::29a3:d3df:2e0d:e7a1%16] over VIX library. Login: [vih\vihbu]. GuestLogin: [vih\vihbu].
Error while connecting to the host: [fe80::29a3:d3df:2e0d:e7a1%16].
VIX Error: Failed to resolve host Code: 30006

Freezing guest operating system
Veeam Guest Agent is not started

Application aware backups work fine on everything else. This is a Windows 7 Pro guest, and is running SQL Express 2005 for Vipre AV software.

I unticked IPV6 on the Veeam server and the guest, but it doesn't make a difference. Why is it trying to use IPV6 and how can I change it?

Thanks
vihag
Novice

Re: VIX Error on one guestt - Tries to use IPV6

Post by vihag »

Well I cleared up that problem by disabling IPV6 on my iSCSI NIC. I don't know why Veeam was looking there as the host isn't even on that network. Now it is getting past that stage, but failing to log into the guest. I've tried multiple domain admin accounts as well as the local admin, but I still get this error.

Starting guest agent
Cannot upload guest agent's files to the administrative share [C:\Windows].
Cannot create folder [C:\Windows\VeeamVssSupport] in guest.
VIX Error: You do not have access rights to this file Code: 13

I can access the administrative share and create the folder manually.
vihag
Novice

Re: VIX Error on one guestt - Tries to use IPV6

Post by vihag »

I solved the problem. Once I went into SQL surface area config and added the backup account as an administrator it started working.
rtk
Lurker
Full Name: rtk

Post by rtk »

vihag wrote:Well I cleared up that problem by disabling IPV6 on my iSCSI NIC. I don't know why Veeam was looking there as the host isn't even on that network. Now it is getting past that stage, but failing to log into the guest. I've tried multiple domain admin accounts as well as the local admin, but I still get this error.

Starting guest agent
Cannot upload guest agent's files to the administrative share [C:\Windows].
Cannot create folder [C:\Windows\VeeamVssSupport] in guest.
VIX Error: You do not have access rights to this file Code: 13

I can access the administrative share and create the folder manually.
When you say you "Well I cleared up that problem by disabling IPV6 on my iSCSI NIC", which machine were you referring to? I have unchecked IPv6 from all interfaces I found in Windows Network and Sharing Center on both the Veeam B&R server and on my VM I'm attempting to replicate. I've even ensured that IPv6 is disabled via the ESXi host admin interface, but all with no luck! Anyone else able to resolve this issue or further explain what might be needed to do so? Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Just wanted to add that if you have a technical problem and cannot resolve it yourself, then please contact our support team directly.
CWSI
Novice
Full Name: Philip Harrison

Post by CWSI »

Hi guys,

Just to add I had the same problem today with a new Veeam installation -
Starting guest agent
Cannot connect to host [fe80::cde9:cfe2:963b:a936%13] over VIX library. Login: [iwt-lan\administrator]. GuestLogin: [iwt-lan\administrator].
Error while connecting to the host: [fe80::cde9:cfe2:963b:a936%13].
VIX Error: Failed to connect to host or proxy Code: 30007

In this case it was VIX Error 30007 but the cause was the same; trying to use an IPv6 address in an non-IPv6 environment. I turned off IPv6 on the main NIC of the Veeam backup server, no luck, then I turned off IPv6 of the iSCSI NIC on the Veeam backup server and this did it. iSCSI is a completely different subnet to the main LAN so no reason for this, but I wonder if turning off IPv6 on both NICs then causes it to be disabled system wide... Anyway, backup ran fine after this!