Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
AndrewBk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Bk

vCenter HA Failover Kills Backups

Post by AndrewBk »

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with vSphere 6.7 vCenter HA failover?

We've recently rolled out 6.7 and combined a couple of data halls worth of VMs under one vCenter.
The problem is, VBR can't seem to account for the new software's ability to failover to what is essentially an exact clone of the vCenter in the event of an issue.

We recently had a failover that, amazingly, went butter smooth and affected nothing. We had no idea it had happened.
Until the next morning when all of the night's backups had failed with a "Host failed to respond" message on every job. After a couple of hours playing about - one of those was just working out that the failover had happened. Until this point, I had no idea it was a thing - i managed to get around the issue by forcing a failover BACK to the original active VC, allowing VBR to leverage it for VM access.

I do have a support ticket open for this issue. But I was wondering if anyone else had seen this issue. And how you permanently fixed it.

Cheers!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: vCenter HA Failover Kills Backups

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Andrew,

When your vCenter Server failed over to another node, were you able to successfully rescan the virtual infrastructure using the Veeam console or all hosts were marked as unreachable? BTW, what is your case ID?

Thanks!
AndrewBk
Novice

Post by AndrewBk »

Sadly, no.
I did attempt it, several times.

Mainly because I was unaware that a failover had happened and this had solved several connection issues in the past.

A rescan resolved the issue straight away one I failed the VC back to the original active node.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Got it, let's see what our support engineer finds out after reviewing the log files. Off the top of my head, the issue could relate to the moref ID change of the vCenter Server or some connectivity issues. How is your vCenter Server added to the backup console, by IP address or the hostname?
AndrewBk
Novice

Post by AndrewBk »

Yeah. I think it’s a similar issue to when you restore a VM an it gets a new “VM-####” number and VBR can’t see it.

I’ve readded the VC by host name and IP and get the same result in testing.

I’ll report back once I’ve spoen to the support engineer Monday Morning.

Thanks