Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ChrisGray
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Gray

VCSA Update from v6.5 to 7.0 caveats

Post by ChrisGray »

We're beginning to discuss the long over due upgrade of our v6.5 U1 VCSA to the latest VCSA version of v7.0 U1xx. That last time we upgraded our VC it was moving off of the Windows version to the VCSA appliance, now we're planning on updating our appliance. I recall from a Veeam standpoint I had more work than expected and it didn't go as smooth as we'd have hoped.

Now, it's my understanding when upgrading VC using VMware's upgrade method, the identity (hostname / IP / DB info) is migrated from the old appliance to a new appliance and the old appliance is powered off. I'm hoping we have better luck with the migration going from VCSA to VCSA vs VC on Windows to VCSA.

If the update / migration is successful, I'm trying to determine if we need to account for changing MoRef's / remapping storage for all of our existing backup and replication jobs, if we using the method discussed here:
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphe ... FC825.html

Thanks.
Chris
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: VCSA Update from v6.5 to 7.0 caveats

Post by PetrM »

Hi Chris,

I wouldn't expect MoRef-s changes as long as the new appliance will continue leveraging the same database. On the other hand, it might be useful to ask about potential MoRef-s changes during the specific upgrade process mentioned above on similar VMware communities in order to be 100 % sure that my hypothesis is correct.

Thanks!
ChrisGray
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Gray

Post by ChrisGray »

Petr,
Thanks for the response, I guess I was looking for the impact from a Veeam perspective, specifically using the supported VMware method and what other's may have experienced.
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

Normally you shouldn't experience any problems with Veeam as long as the update succeedes. But, from a VMware perspective, i would make sure that you have a working backup before doing the upgrade.