Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
toto
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: toto

Veaam free Edition limited to Max 10 vm's?

Post by toto »

Hi Guys,
I have tried to find precise information on the free version of veeam backup. But i'm unable to find good information, have found some forum posts but still no definite answer to my question.
Basically my problem now is, I have had an old veeam 9.5 server that I was using for backup of multiple vm systems. I use just basic backup, like make backup of x machine on x day.
now I installed a new server, with bigger local storage space. installed the latest version of veeam and getting error above 10 virtual machines. telling me license issue.
so my question is :

1. is veaam backup 10 free edition limited to 10 virtual machines only ?
2. if version 10 is limited that means veam 9.5 was different and had no limits ? cause i used the free version to backup like 40+ vm systems.
what m I missing ?

thanks in advace.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veaam free Edition limited to Max 10 vm's?

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello and welcome the Veeam R&R forums toto,
1. is veaam backup 10 free edition limited to 10 virtual machines only ?
Yes. To be precise, it's limited to 10 licenses which you can spend for backing up VMs, servers or NAS.
2. if version 10 is limited that means veam 9.5 was different and had no limits ? cause i used the free version to backup like 40+ vm systems.
In 9.5 free edition, it was not possible to do scheduled incremental backups. You could only do full backups and only manually (aka VeeamZIP). Unlimited VeeamZIP backups is still an option also in v10, but additionally now you can create normal backup jobs for up to 10 virtual machines total. Cheers!
toto
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: toto

Re: Veaam free Edition limited to Max 10 vm's?

Post by toto »

After some little extra research I found out that we used some custom script that did the backups in older veeam, and I see that it's less then ten, something got messed up I guess.

thanks for your clear reply @Dima.