Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
s.desbois
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sebastien Desbois

Veeam 10 - Enterprise Manager - File Level Restore - Default network configuration for helper appliance

Post by s.desbois »

Hello,

I have a question regarding the File Level Restore in Veeam 10, specifically for Linux, and the FLR helper appliance that is deployed.
When we do such a restore through the Veeam Console, we can choose on which network is the appliance and its network confiuration.

But when we do such a restore with Entreprise Manager, we can't configure the network information for the Helper Appliance.
And in our infrastrucure, it is created on a "wrong" network, that will not be able to communicate with the ESXi serves, so the FLR restore through the VMtools willl not be possible.

Is there a way to configure a "default" network somewhere in the Veeam console?
We searched the documentation and look around the console but we didn't find anything...

We want to give our customers the possibility to restore themselves their files on Linux VMs, directly to their servers (like for Windows) and this is blocking us.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Veeam 10 - Enterprise Manager - File Level Restore - Default network configuration for helper appliance

Post by Andreas Neufert »

It works like this:
If you use the VBR console with a sepcific user and configure the OthreOS FLR appliance, then it is stored for the user when you use it again or in Enterprise Manager.
If you use Enterprise Manager and there is no profile in the OtherOS wizard, then the last profile that was changed by a user is used to copy it to the actual user.
Now that the profile exist for this user, you need to let this user authenticate once with the VBR console and correct the setting.
s.desbois
Novice

Re: Veeam 10 - Enterprise Manager - File Level Restore - Default network configuration for helper appliance

Post by s.desbois »

Thanks for the answer.
I see a lot of problems coming from that...

Customers will not have access to VBR Console.
If the profile is copied over from the last profile changed by a user, that means that our internal teams risk that each time we use the VBR Console to do such a restore, a new customer will get the specific configuration used internally.

This is a huge drawback for us.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

The profile is only copied if there is no profile present for the user (user never used the Linux FLR).
In the end this entry is stored within a XML field in the database.
Maybe make a specific setting and search for it within the SQL database. Then you can maybe copy the settings or change those.

As it looks like you are a VCSP partner within Veeam, please contact our VSCP team to discuss the situation. They have to often implement the same logic and have maybe other ways to help you.
s.desbois
Novice

Post by s.desbois »

Thank you.
I was going to ask if there any way to set i through API / Powershell / hack.
I will check with our VCSP Team