Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
shantiexpert
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam 12 - VM is no longer processed by this job

Post by shantiexpert »

Hello,
I've got a lab with the latest Veeam B&R and a vCenter with 5 VMs. I have a back-up job for 2 of those VMs which is failing after I've registered the VMs again in vCenter.
The DB server used by veeam is postgresql. I've found some old topics about previous versions of veeam but nothing about veeam 12. Do you know a fix for remaping existing backup to the "new" VMs?
Thank you,
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Veeam 12 - VM is no longer processed by this job

Post by PetrM »

Hello and Welcome to Veeam R&D Forums!

After the VMs were re-registered in vCenter, their references at the hypervisor level were changed but Veeam still searches for old references and cannot find an object to back up. Please go through the job wizard once again, re-add these 2 VMs, and run active full. If the issue persists please open a support case and share a support case ID with us.

Thanks!
shantiexpert
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by shantiexpert »

The job runs, but it creates new backup disks... I want to link them with the old backups... I've got 25TB of data.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

There is no option to map backups because these VMs have new references (moRef) and are considered as entirely new objects from vCenter and Veeam database perspective. You can think about different backup size reduction methods like block size ("storage optimization" setting) decreasing to get a higher dedupe ratio, a different compression algorithm, dedupe storage and synthetic full.

Also, I always recommend having enough free space for at least 2 full backups on your primary repository. It's needed exactly for such unplanned scenarios.

Thanks!