Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
xmzmc
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Veeam B&R '+Free licenses' question

Post by xmzmc »

Hi,

We use a paid license for two physical ESXi servers (see screenshot below). Both servers have one physical socket. Can we use the "+free license" to use the full version of Veeam Agent for Windows on another physical server? If yes, how? I've tried to download a license for Veeam Agent through https://my.veeam.com/licenses/production but it only offers Veeam B&R licenses.

This is our license (notice the "+free licenses")

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6730 times

Re: Veeam B&R '+Free licenses' question

Post by Gostev »

Hi, these can only be used for agent-based backup jobs in VBR. You don't download these licenses, they are built into VBR. Thanks
xmzmc
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by xmzmc »

Ok np and thanks for the info. I've intregrated it into B&R now, works pretty good.

What are those free licenses exactly and how do they work with the specific license I have (2 sockets). For example, can i use these free licenses on a 3rd physical server (so 3rd socket) or are the free licenses limited by the max. socket count?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6730 times

Post by Gostev »

The only thing they can NOT be used for is host-based backup of VMware and Hyper-V VMs (which is the standard VUL restriction in presence of a Socket license). Other than that, they can be used for protecting any workloads supported by Veeam.

You get 1 VUL per licensed Socket, up to 6 VUL maximum. The original idea behind adding these free licenses many years ago was to allow highly virtualized customers to protect those few remaining physical servers.

Please note that in the Veeam Licensing Policy these licenses are referred to as "gifted" as this was their original name (just search the page for gifted).