Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
zdundore
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Zach Dundore

Veeam Backup Job Failure after a Storage Motion Operation

Post by zdundore »

My backup job has been failing on 1 VM for 2 weeks. It appears to have started having issues ever since i storage motioned the VM to a different iSCSI datastore within the same SAN unit.

The error message I get from the backup report is:

Timed out waiting for all VDDK disks to close.
Error: Client error: VDDK error: 1.Unknown error Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [653].

The research I have done on this error has lead me to believe that this could be due to corruption in the VMDK but i haven't found a good way to check that yet. I have since also tried to create a new backup job to backup this lone VM and the job appears to read about 600MB of the drive then hang for the next 30 mins before it fails. I am able to successfully take a snapshot of the VM through VCenter and for all purposes the VM appears to be fully functional.

Anyone that can lend a helping hand as to why this job is failing i would be most appreciative.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Backup Job Failure after a Storage Motion Operatio

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Zach, please include the support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic. Otherwise, this topic will be removed by moderators eventually.

As to the issue you observe - is this the only VM affected on the LUN? Thank you!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Also, I'm wondering whether the number of processed block is always the same. If so, you can try to clone the given VM, run off the clone, and see whether the issue shows up again or not. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Here's also an existing thread discussing similar issues and containing some other hints for approaching it, worth reviewing.
zdundore
Novice

Post by zdundore »

I am in the process of getting a support case open right now.

Currently this is the only VM on the LUN affected. There are 6 othe VMs on the LUN running and getting backed up with no issues.

I was thinking about running a V2V conversion on the VM and trying to run the backup again but i was hoping to determine if this was worth my time before embarking on that lengthy process.

I reviewed that thread and the error message is similar but not the same. Their error is more related to the network connection between the Veeam Software and the VM where as my error relates more to the actual reading of the VMDK file.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Then let's see what our engineers can suggest after reviewing the logs. It would be appreciated if you could post the case ID here for further reference.
zdundore
Novice

Post by zdundore »

Case number: 00612265
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

While the support team is investigating the issue, you can try to clone the VM and run backup job against the resulting clone. If the issue disappears, most likely the source VMDK is corrupted. Thanks.