Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ARycroft
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Rycroft

Veeam Backup target for AWS systems

Post by ARycroft »

Hi,

Please can you advise me?

If I locate my workloads in a VMware environment in the AWS cloud for example, what is the backup common practise? Should I backup them up to an onsite device, e.g. Storeonce? Would this then incur data egress costs? If I back them up to a cloud based device in the cloud would I incur data storage costs in the cloud? How easy is it with Veeam to backup from the cloud to on premises, does it do data reduction?

Thank you for your advice?

Kind regards
Andrew Rycroft
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam Backup target for AWS systems

Post by Mildur »

Hi Andrew
If I locate my workloads in a VMware environment in the AWS cloud for example, what is the backup common practise?
I would want to make sure, that the backups are at least in another AWS account in case your production account gets compromised. You can also use backup targets in your on-premise environment. This allows you to restore data from your backups independent from a working internet connection.
Should I backup them up to an onsite device, e.g. Storeonce?
We recommend deduplication appliances such as StoreOnce mainly as a target for backup copy jobs. Restore performance with dedup appliances may be not meet your RTO requirements. Therefore I recommend checking out windows or Linux (hardened) repositories for your primary backups. You could use a windows repository in the AWS cloud and then send a copy to a deduplication appliance in your on-prem environment.
You can also write backups first o object storage on AWS S3. And then copy the backup from AWS S3 to a on premise repository.
Would this then incur data egress costs? If I back them up to a cloud based device in the cloud would I incur data storage costs in the cloud?
Yes. Getting data out of the cloud normally comes with a cost.
How easy is it with Veeam to backup from the cloud to on premises, does it do data reduction?
Protecting workloads in VmWare Cloud on AWS comes with some limitations/considerations. Please see our kb article: https://www.veeam.com/kb2414

For backup jobs, data reduction (compression, deduplication) is done on our VMware backup proxy server before the data gets transferred to the backup repository server (or gateway server when a dedup appliance is used).

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software