Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
brew
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Veeam inactive datastore

Post by brew »

Hi

On our datastores within vSphere I have noticed we have two datastores VeeamBackup_IT-VEEAM-MH & VeeamBackup_IT-VEEAM-RH - both are showing as inactive - I have never really noticed these before and am unsure how long they have been there so don't know if they are supposed to be there or not - we are running VMware 6.5 U1 and Veeam 9.5, around a month ago my colleague updated Veeam with the latest patches (it was only slightly out of date) so I’m thinking these datastores have maybe inactive since then (there are no other errors anywhere hence why we have only just noticed as we've had no reason to go into the datastores tab).
The two datastores are not even mapped to all the hosts (we have 12) one is mapped to 3 and the other to 6. Does anybody know if these two datastores are needed? Our backups go into a repository which storage is on the two physical backup servers and the datastores on VM are not them as the two datastores are only 300+GB each.

With them being inactive (and all our backups are running fine) I’m thinking I could just unmount them but don’t want to just do that if there is a reason they are there? Could someone please advise?

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam inactive datastore

Post by PTide »

Hi,

The stores that you see are likely to be vPower NFS datastores that are used for such operations as "Instant VM Recovery", "Multi-OS File-level recovery" etc. For full list please see this guide.

Thanks