Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mma
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Marcel

Veeam Lab / Sure Backup without verification

Post by mma »

Hello

Is there a way to start a veeam lab / sure backup without any boot verfication (9.5 4b)?

I need to set up a veeam lab with a VM without vmware tools. So there is no hartbeat or network ping possible - the lab can not verify the VM as up and shuts it down.
I disabled the option "VM heartbeat is present" and "VM responds to ping on any network interface" for the application group. The sure backup job has the option "keep the application group running" enabled.

The errors are:
Error: Results: Cannot detect VM starting because of timeout
Error: Results: OS did not boot in the allotted time

I just want to start the lab without any checks / countdowns and have it runing as long as I want.

Thanks
Marcel
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Lab / Sure Backup without verification

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Marcel,

You can increase the Maximum allowed boot time value and uncheck 'VM heartbeat is present' and 'VM responds to ping on any network interface' options to avoid these checks under verification options of SureBackup job.

mma
Service Provider

Post by mma »

Those two Options are unchecked. The Lab / sure backup job shuts down after the "Startup time" countdowns.
What if I need a Lab for let's say 3 days? Should I set max allowed boot time to 260'000 sec (which is allowed in the GUI). What if I need to extend my "lab period" for antoher day or a half? How should I start a lab with multiple VMs?
You can consider this post as a feature request. Let me start a lab without any checks for an unlimited time.

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Why are you disabling the ping test? Veeam B&R needs at least one way to ensure the VM is booted up within the specified boot time and fails to do so since you're disabling both. There's also no need to disable the heartbeat test as it is not performed in case VMware Tools are not installed.
mma
Service Provider

Post by mma »

How does veeam ping the VM if there are no VM tools?
mma
Service Provider

Post by mma » 1 person likes this post

Nevermind it worked :-)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Actually, a more proper way to achieve what you're after would be to use a troubleshooting mode - in this case, the job starts the application group along with the selected VM and keeps it up and running until you stop this session. For that, right-click the SureBackup job session under the History node, select Statistics, right-click the required VM, and click Start.