Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
vchris
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: vChris

Veeam & PowerScale/Isilon 12.1 Improvement

Post by vchris »

Hello There,

I have some trouble to understand the improvement and how to set it up on 12.1 for PowerScale/Isilon.

According to the helpcenter:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
[For Veeam Backup & Replication 12.1 (build 12.1.0.2131) and later] You can also use the SmartConnect service name of the storage system.
And
Veeam Backup & Replication v12.1 What's new
Enterprise load-balancers awareness — NAS backup job is now aware of NetApp ONTAP and Dell EMC Isilon load balancers and can perform backups from different storage nodes depending on their current load, instead of always using a single node.
We can add the SmartConnect Service Name to Veeam.
Ok but we add the PowerScale/Isilon by it's management subnet to veeam, not the data Subnet to Veeam Storage tab. If you try to add the SSIP FQDN it generate a certificate error. PowerScale/Isilon are not meant to be managed by the SSIP FQDN but by the NS record that point to the SSIP. So i'm not sure to understand this info.

NAS backup job is now aware of NetApp ONTAP and Dell EMC Isilon load balancers and can perform backups from different storage nodes depending on their current load
Is it automatic ? Do I have to change something on my Veeam configuration or PowerScale/Isilon integration into Veeam ?

A tad more of info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)
Knight of the always on
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam & PowerScale/Isilon 12.1 Improvement

Post by Mildur »

Hi Chris

It should just work after you have configured SmartConnect in your PowerScale/Isilon cluster.
Veeam will query the SmartConnect service name and gets an IP address to connect to from the SmartConnect service.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software