Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Flag
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam Proxy

Post by Flag »

Hi,

We need to backup some VM from WAN, here is the plan:

Site A:
Veaam B&R
Esxi + VMs
Synology Storage

Site B:
VM Proxy
Esxi + VMs

So we want to backup VMs from site B to site A on the Synology.

We install a VM Proxy on Site B. Try to add Proxy on B&R from site A it works, and we can navigate to the Esxi Site B from site A so communication seems good.
I plan a job to backup 1 VM on site B and put on storage Synology Site A but it doesnt work.. Our plan is possible? Maybe I forget to open some ports?

Thanks for help.

Ticket: 04862871
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Veeam Proxy

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Flag,

Looks like just some errors writing to your Synology -- maybe just check which server is being used as the gateway for your SMB share and ensure that there is a valid path.

(Also, it's best to avoid SMB if you can and directly attach it as iscsi -- this might save a lot of pain for your routing also since then you only have to ensure that:

- The repository server and the NAS have fun connectivity
- the proxy(-ies) and repository server have connectivity

With SMB, you have to either use a dedicated gateway or plan for potentially any server to be a gateway server and cause problems.)
Flag
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Flag »

Hi soncscy,

So we need to open ports from Site B to Site A ?
Actually I just open ports from Site A to Site B, to communicate with Esxi or VM, and deploy Transport Veeam service.

I think the link in SMB is OK locally because everyday our jobs are OK. But I take care about your remark and we will try ISCSI to avoir SMB :)

Regards,
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Well, it's hard to say because I'm only able to see part of the error :) If you feel adventurous, you can look in the logs and see why it couldn't connect, but it might be best to get support.

And as for my comment on iscsi, let me clarify ;) If you have one site and SMB is working well for you, I'm happy for you then and it's all you need.

But, with multi-geo environments, you have a potential issue with gateways. SMB repositories need a gateway server, and any windows server can be chosen as the gateway if you use automatic selection; with a defined gateway, this simplifies the routing and you get the same benefit that the iscsi connection has, but if you need to have multiple gateways for some reason (routing for example), this gets problematic and complex to configure in my opinion.

iscsi will always be more performant than SMB in virtually everyway, but if it's working well for you and you don't have a bunch of infrastructure in your Veeam environment, then enjoy!