Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ktrott
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kyle Trott

veeam server rebooting when running surebackup

Post by ktrott »

has anyone had this at all?

i have a Veeam 6.1 physical Dell system running. All the backups are successful. I've created the Virtual Lab, it works. I've created the Application Groups, they are fine. I've created the Surebackup Job, it seems fine. When i run the Surebackup job, however, whether scheduled or manual, the Veeam server blue screens and reboots. When the system comes back online, i just get that oh so helpful MS Message that the last system reboot was unexpected. Nothing more is in the Windows Event Viewer. Is there a Veeam log that I should focus on to help diagnose this issue?

It should be noted that this is the second physical Veeam 6.1 system that is doing the reboot thing when running the Surebackup Job. On the first system, i chalked it up it was just running on a 5 year old Dell system, running Windows 2008 Standard. So, i bought new drives and dropped them into a 3year old Dell system and installed Windows 2008 R2 from scratch. Removed Veeam from the old system and moved my license/install over to the new(er) hardware. Unfortunately, it hasn't helped - every single time i run a Surebackup job, the server reboots...

anyone have any ideas?

thanks!
ktrott
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kyle Trott

Re: veeam server rebooting when running surebackup

Post by ktrott »

quickie on my environment:

Veeam is a dual-quad-core w/16GB of RAM, running Windows 2008R2 and Veeam 6.1
Network is full GB, and dual 10GB links into each VMWare node
VMWare environment is 4 Dell R710 nodes (128GB RAM, each)running ESXi 5 Enterprise with an MD3200+(2) MD1200 for storage.

I have a local Proxy on the Veeam system, and I've also put a Win2008R2 system on one of the VMWare nodes (that literally has nothing else running on it) and pushed a Proxy out there to try to run the Sureback through there.

still reboots the physical Veeam server :(
absent
Veeam Software
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Andrey Zhelezko

Post by absent »

Hello ktrott,

since 6.1 was released we faced with infinite reboot loop in few cases: http://www.veeam.com/KB1645. However it doesn't look like similar issue that's why I'd recommend you to contact support department and open the case. It would worth to investigate deeper.

Thanks
Aremac
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam Pierce

Post by Aremac »

What is the stop code of your blue screen? I have been chasing a similar problem with a consistent bugcheck of 0x0000004a. It began shortly after upgrade to 6.1. I've not tied my issue to SureBackup Jobs but I will investigate that.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Sam,

Do you run any antivirus software on the backup server?

We have seen few cases when BSOD was caused by the antivirus that was locking Veeam backup files. Could this possibly be the case in your situation? See this thread for further details: Antivirus Settings

Thanks!