Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
gimel
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Philippe Ferrucci

Veeam should backup really present vmdk and not old ones

Post by gimel »

Hi everyone,

Today I was fooled by Veam backup :-(

I installed a VM "NEW" to replace an older VM "OLD".
I didn't want to lose the history in my backup job of OLD so I moved my newly installed vmdk files from NEW to OLD.
So I would keep the OLD VM with its UUID but with my NEW vmdk.

So I thought the backup job OLD would continue working by backuping the NEW vmdk now.
I was wrong as Veeam backed up the OLD vmdk that I moved elsewhere in my datastore! :-(

I tend to think it's a bug in Veeam. I mean, I ask the software to backup a VM, whatever it is made of.
Why doesn't it "ask" VMware which disks is set up in this VM and acts accordingly?

Now let's give it another try.
I edited my backup job and selected "SCSI 0:0" instead of "All disks". This is a lowlevel definition of the vmdk and it is also called SCSI 0:0 in the VM. So this should work but it doesn't. Veeam stills backup the wrong vmdk.

What's you thought on this? Bug or misunderstanding from my side?
Philippe FERRUCCI
Gimel Lavergne
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Veeam should backup really present vmdk and not old ones

Post by Gostev »

gimel wrote: Sep 27, 2023 5:18 pmWhy doesn't it "ask" VMware which disks is set up in this VM and acts accordingly?
That's actually exactly how Veeam works, otherwise how would we know which disks to backup? We can only ask VMware about it, that's really the only way for us to find out.

Most likely you did something incorrect or even unsupported by VMware with your manual transformations. If it helps, our support should be able to demonstrate you in the debug logs that the correct disks are being backed up for the selected VM, according to what VMware thinks its virtual disks are.

Thanks
gimel
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Philippe Ferrucci

Re: Veeam should backup really present vmdk and not old ones

Post by gimel »

When I check the size of what is backed up, it is the old one.
But if Veeam asks VMware there is something else going on and I'll investigate.

Thanks for clarifying.
Philippe FERRUCCI
Gimel Lavergne