Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
terrance101
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

veeamzip image metadata issue

Post by terrance101 »

Hi guys
just wondering how I can transport vmware image across the pond. I created with veeamzip image directly onto a nas station, then I tested it by restoring it to vmware host and it worked just fine. Now our connection can go down some time so I can't rely on a single pass of 1 43GB file in case it falls over so I had to split it. I used hjsplit to split it up on one side, transferred the image in pieces over a week across to the new site and reassembled it there. The resulting was exactly the same size to the byte on the new site yet when I try to use veeam to restore the image by double clicking on it, it reads through it then eventually comes up with a message about the metadata possibly being corrupt. Anyone else come across this and if so what is the recommended method of getting such a large across in pieces to a new site?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: veeamzip image metadata issue

Post by Gostev »

Hi,

This looks to be either an issue with hjsplit, or network traffic corruption during the actual transfer. You can calculate a checksum of both source and target file with this tool to confirm this.

As far as transfers over unreliable links, it is best to use Backup Copy job for this. Backup Copy jobs will withstand to both short connection drops and network traffic corruption (thanks to built-in traffic validation and remediation).

Thanks!
terrance101
Enthusiast

Post by terrance101 »

So I was thinking about this and I can't keep the server down for the amount of time it would take to transfer the machine. So I was thinking as a solution (for those that comes across this thread in future)... I am going to veeamzip it off locally so it's not necessary to shut it down, then import locally back to the same vmware host and get it seperated off to a localised virtual switch with no nic's attached to it (to make sure it doesn't conflict with the old version of the server), then run the backup across the pond and limit the throughput at the proxies to it doesn't saturate the network bandwidth.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Not sure I follow. Why do you need to keep the server down for the amount of time it would take to transfer the machine?
terrance101
Enthusiast

Post by terrance101 »

Because the machine needs to be offline when running a veeam backup doesn't it?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No, Veeam backs up running VMs.