Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DukeR
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael

Verification and Help needed: New Veeam Infra to replace old one

Post by DukeR »

Hi all

I would like to verify the following tasks with you and I would be glad if you could help me.

***current setup***
One existing physical backup server which runs Veeam B&R and is repository at the same time:
-Windows Server 2016
-Veeam 9.5U2
-SQL Express DB local
-Quantum DXI as a 2nd target for the backup copy jobs

***new setup***
-One virtual machine running Windows Server 2016 and Veeam B&R 9.5U3 (update from 9.5U2 to 9.5U3 after migration completed)
-One new physical Dell server as a proxy system and repository (migrate existing physically enclosures from the old backup servers to the new dell server -> detach and attach)
-One new tape library for tape jobs and no more Quantum backup copy jobs

***Description***
As you can see we want to split the roles in the future. One virtual machine for the "management" and one physiscal system as a proxy (connected to the storage system by iscsi) and as a repository. The diffuclt part in my opinion is the fact that we want to REUSE the old disk enclosures from the old backup server attach it to the new sysetm (hardware compatibiliy is given) AND USE THE EXISTING BACKUP DATA and Backup Jobs resp. the BACKUP CHAINS.

***Tasks and phasese***
Here I need verfiction from your experience. I would like to schedule a "maintenace" window where I gonna export the configuration database from the old veeam server and import it to the new machine, so all configuration etc. should be imported. Then I will shutdown the old server and detach the disk enclosures. Now I will attach the disk enclosure to the new server and boot the system. I will assign the same drive letters to the partitions as it was in the old environment. I will than do a rescan and hope that everything remains the same ;)

1) Do I need to have the same Veeam Version running on the systems at the beginning to make the export/import work?
2) I want to have all passwords included, so I need to encrypt the database first. Right?
2.1) Can I remove the encryption later on again?
3) Is there any issue with just detaching the old enclosures and attach them to the new systems with regards to RAID, NTFS?
3.1) Do I need to have the same dirve letters or could I just add the partitions different and just configure the jobs fresh to the new drives (map function)?
4)Is there any additional step needed to make this happen?

Do you see any crucial aspect in this OR should this be an easy thing?

Final question: Let us assume I would have to move backup data completely to a new location and I want to use the SAME backup jobs with the existing chains. How exactly does that work? Just move the data by explorer and than "map" it within the job to the new location? I am asking this especially when we need to move data away to a dedup location which is actually smaller in size but due to dedup there is much more space for sure but Windows Explorer says "No, sorry too little space avaialble". Is there a Veeam Tool to do such a thing?

Thank you very much for your help and best regards
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Verification and Help needed: New Veeam Infra to replace old one

Post by foggy »

Hi Michael.

1. You can import configuration from U2 into U3 installation.
2. Right.
2.1 Yes, just be aware of the following issue that is addressed in the upcoming U4 though.
3. Everything should be transparent to Veeam B&R, provided all the paths are preserved.
3.1 You can do both. In the latter cse you would also need to update repositories.
4. Your procedure should be sufficient. There should not be any issues provided everything is done carefully.
Final question: Please refer to this article.

Thanks!
DukeR
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael

Post by DukeR »

Hi and thank you so much for your help on this!

Great
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

Are they SAS enclosures that are run off of your existing system's RAID controller for their configuration?

You may have issues if the RAID information from the first system isn't in the new one, and it could lead to the new system deleting your data.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect