Very slow health check (3+ days)

VMware specific discussions

Very slow health check (3+ days)

Veeam Logoby thomasrensvold » Tue May 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Hello!

I'm running B & R 9.5 U1 (9.5.0.823) on a VM with windows server 2012 R2. I have 1 backup job with about 160 VMs and 35,6TB. I run incremental with 1 active full monthly. Health check is set to run every other month. I also use "Per-VM backup files"

I have no problems with regular backup time, it normally finishes in about 4 hours on incremental and I guess about 35 hours on active full. My backup repository is a freenas box with cifs share. Both is connected with 10gbit.

The cpu usage on veeam server is very low (I run only 1 proxy server), and same with memory. The network speeds I see on the veeam server is about 500mbit read while the health check is running.

Cpu usage on backup repository is 0-1%, there is no problems handling what veeam server reads..

Any ideas on how to speed things up? How necessary is it to run the health check? Maybe I don't really need to do it since I run periodically active fulls anyway?

My healthcheck has now run for 42 hours and is 57% done
thomasrensvold
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Rensvold

Re: Very slow health check (3+ days)

Veeam Logoby thomasrensvold » Thu May 11, 2017 6:11 am

81 hours now - 99% complete
thomasrensvold
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Rensvold

Re: Very slow health check (3+ days)

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu May 11, 2017 11:29 am

Hi Thomas, health check performance is mostly defined by the backup size and by what the storage can provide in terms of the read speed. In your case, I suppose, both factors play the role, since the backup is pretty large and the storage is not top grade in terms of IOPS. Health check protects against storage bit rot and allows to detect in-flight backup file data corruptions. With periodic active fulls the need for health check is not that high, since even if existing backup file is corrupt, active full will create a brand new one, but it still allows to be informed about existing backups health.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1111 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Return to VMware vSphere